123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elgato Intros EyeTV HD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Elgato Intros EyeTV HD Reply with quote

Elgato Intros EyeTV HD
Monday, May 24, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

Elgato has announced the release of their EyeTV HD DVR solution for Mac users. The device allows users to watch, record, and edit cable and satellite television in high-definition, including premium channels. It also includes a unique dual-format capture mode that records in iPad and iPhone formats at the same time, allowing users to stream live and recorded TV to an iPhone or iPad using the optional EyeTV app. And it includes an infrared remote and IR blaster for automatic control of your cable or satellite receiver. EyeTV HD is available now from the Elgato Online Store and Apple Store for $199.95.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1521.html
YesHD

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this one a lot! Can't wait to read the reviews.
qrayg

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does it do the encoding or does it rely on the Mac to do the encoding? Can it do the encoding through USB power only?
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question i would like to know is it says it can record sat tv which a doupt because direct tv and dish network are encrypted to prevent that.
khisayruou

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
Question i would like to know is it says it can record sat tv which a doupt because direct tv and dish network are encrypted to prevent that.

Your sat or dish network box decodes the scrambled channels, this device just re-encodes the video your feeding into it.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that is one SWEET looking S-Video port. Shocked
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nice!! Amazon does have it for under $190, not bad for a device that records HD, especially with Elgato's top track record and knowing they have an iPhone app.
MrBabou

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can it be HD without an HDMI port?
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBabou wrote:

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that HDMI is a one cable solution for component cables (the blue, green and red cables) and audio. The only thing that's a bit confusing is Elgato's choice of the standard white and red audio ports, as opposed to using an optical connection (TOSLINK); it's probably safe to assume that many with an HDTV and HD cable/sat box also have some sort of 5.1 or 7.1 surround system.
infinitespecter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
MrBabou wrote:

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that HDMI is a one cable solution for component cables (the blue, green and red cables) and audio. The only thing that's a bit confusing is Elgato's choice of the standard white and red audio ports, as opposed to using an optical connection (TOSLINK); it's probably safe to assume that many with an HDTV and HD cable/sat box also have some sort of 5.1 or 7.1 surround system.

Close, but not quite. HDMI is essentially DVI plus audio. Component is analog, and thus has no DRM restricting recording. HDMI/DVI have HDCP which prevents recording on devices like this.

With recent devices and TVs, the difference between the two visually is negligible (both support up to 1080p). This is the same reason why they didn't include an optical connection for audio. Be thankful for the analog hole while it lasts since recent developments will likely see it closed in the near future.
MrBabou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infinitespecter wrote:
Close, but not quite. HDMI is essentially DVI plus audio. Component is analog, and thus has no DRM restricting recording. HDMI/DVI have HDCP which prevents recording on devices like this.

With recent devices and TVs, the difference between the two visually is negligible (both support up to 1080p). This is the same reason why they didn't include an optical connection for audio. Be thankful for the analog hole while it lasts since recent developments will likely see it closed in the near future.

OK, good to know.

However, HDCP aside, by using component, doesn't the source device have to convert from digital to analog, and then the receiving device from analog to digital back again? Maybe the created loss is negligible to the human eye, but doesn't this make using DVI or HDMI, being straight digital to digital, better? Like I said, aside from the damned HDCP...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: