123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Printing remotely from outside network easily possible?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Printing remotely from outside network easily possible? Reply with quote

I've come across several situations lately where I was away from my home network, but would have liked to print something, so it would be available when I get home. I've looked, but don't see any solutions for Mac that are inexpensive and easy to use. I realize there are solutions like Log Me In Pro that would do this, but $70/year to be able to sometimes remotely print is a bit steep. I would be willing to pay for a service like Mobile Me if it was able to do remote printing along with other things, like syncing Macs and everything else Mobile Me does. But I don't believe remote printing is possible with Mobile Me. So, does anyone know of a simple and inexpensive solution that would allow remote printing on a home network, or one that allows remote printing along with other features, like Mobile Me offers?

Thanks!!!
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your using your laptop you could just print so it gets added to the print queue when your out and about and then when your printer is available just restart the print queue ?

Alternative would be to create a print folder on your desktop or better still your dropbox folder and then use the Print - Save as PDF into that folder. When you get home you have a single place to look for the PDF waiting to be printed. You may even be able to set up a folder action to print when something is added to the folder.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use Screen Sharing. I, just a few moments ago remote printed a document on my Mini using my MacBook. Cypher mentioned a folder action Applescript. That would work as well. There are several ways to do the printing portion of what you want.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuentecigar wrote:
You could use Screen Sharing. I, just a few moments ago remote printed a document on my Mini using my MacBook. Cypher mentioned a folder action Applescript. That would work as well. There are several ways to do the printing portion of what you want.

So log into my network remotely, but screen share and actually print from a local machine is what you're suggesting? I was thinking of that earlier, but I don't even know how to log in remotely...gotta figure that one out. And this would work as a 'worst case' scenario. But how about printing from offsite to my home network? I'm running a dual band Extreme and then a snow Extreme as a print server. And it would most likely be from the MacBook or MacBook Mini (hackintosh).

Thanks!!!
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
fuentecigar wrote:

So log into my network remotely, but screen share and actually print from a local machine is what you're suggesting? I was thinking of that earlier, but I don't even know how to log in remotely...gotta figure that one out. And this would work as a 'worst case' scenario. But how about printing from offsite to my home network? I'm running a dual band Extreme and then a snow Extreme as a print server. And it would most likely be from the MacBook or MacBook Mini (hackintosh).

Thanks!!!

Just enable screen sharing in the preferences panel of the machine you are trying to access. It will say this machine can be accessed at vnc://168.192.x.xxx etc. Open a browser window on your other machine and enter the address. You will have to have the log-in password of the machine you are going to access. If you have both machines where you can see them at the same time you can actually look at yourself moving the cursor. For log-in outside of your personal network here is a pretty good page using all open source tools:

http://howto.diveintomark.org/remote-mac/

I don't do that very often. But, it is not that difficult. Hope you get it going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: