123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iPad on order
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 11:13 am    Post subject: iPad on order Reply with quote

Today was the iPad pre-order day in the UK. I've pre-ordered a 32GB wifi + 3G model.

Still not sure about paying the 3G data prices yet, I may still go the Mifi route and sort out my own data plan but I felt having the 3G model at least gave me the option of using it which is better than only ordering a wifi model and then wishing I had 3G.

Roll on launch day 28th May, I can't wait Very Happy

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd get the 3G model. The device dictates freedom and mobility. You'll likely kick yourself in the butt later for not getting it. Even if you never use it. You'll likely recover half the 3G upgrade cost if you ever sell the device.

Enjoy.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting close to ordering one, then decided to go buy a big smoker for BBQ season instead.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I'd get the 3G model.

Yes that's what I've pre-ordered even though I don't think I'll be using it, as you say its better to have it for maybe further down the line.

Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, I am sure you will love it. I really like how apps work but safari could be faster for me ( wifi version). The ebay app is cool if your into that I like searching with that rather than the website. Specific apps typically work better than the website like say amazon.com or ebay. They are more responsive. Mail rocks though that is great. Comic books pop you need to check one out even if your not into it just for the color and resolution. I don't think I could use mine as a reader I would rather buy a real book its easier on my eyes. I need to mess around with the brightness or something maybe I can get it to work for me. Now magazines are another story they are great. If you like news your in for a treat seems like a billion free apps for that.

Hidef movie trailers look stunning on mine.I ended up buying an apple extreme base station to get mine running smoothly. Things were real bad using my mini's airport. It did just fine on my express but I needed that for airtunes. Now I got this huge ipad as a remote. Very Happy
ReliantLion

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to get mine. Should be a week or so. Like many people, I got the 3G one, not planning to use it. You never know when the need might come up, you know?

The web site replacement apps probably work better, at least partly, because all the structure is already there, where as browsing on Safari may reload the same pictures over and over.
Gordy

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the wifi version as I never use my 3g dongle at the moment. I can always get a MiFI at a later date if I need one.

www.gordyhand.co.uk
soundzen

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: ipad review? Reply with quote

hey cypher, how is the ipad doing?

could you do a review and put up some pics?

what connections does it have... USB and MEMORY CARD?

can you connect the ethernet phone cable to surf the net or only by wifi?

there is no cd slot so how do you upload a movie?

i believe MKV files dont work so you need to convert them into AVI or MP4, right?

sorry for the curiosity but its sounds great kit for email, internet, movie and ebooks!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: ipad review? Reply with quote

soundzen wrote:
hey cypher, how is the ipad doing?

I've not got it yet, I've just pre-ordered it. They aren't releasing them until the 28th May (2 more weeks and it will be mine Cool) well thats assuming it ships on time, I've seen today that Apple have pushed the shipping dates back to the 7th June now, but I think thats just for newer orders and not the first batch of Pre-Orders.

soundzen

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to here that about dates... hope you enjoy it and give us a glimpse of it Wink
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundzen wrote:
what connections does it have... USB and MEMORY CARD?

No USB or Memory Card. There is a camera kit add on which allows you to import photo's from a camera via USB or SD Card

soundzen wrote:
can you connect the ethernet phone cable to surf the net or only by wifi?

Its Wifi or if you have the 3G model you can fit a micro sim card and connect to the internet over a mobile broadband connection.

soundzen wrote:
there is no cd slot so how do you upload a movie?

Sync via iTunes. Mines only going to be 32 GB so I'm not planning on having many movies on it. I have a few on my Touch which I've synced via iTunes and I also stream live video to it from my iMac. I assume I will be able to do the same with the iPad.

soundzen wrote:
i believe MKV files dont work so you need to convert them into AVI or MP4, right?

I'm not sure, as I say its not really something I'm planning on doing very often.

soundzen wrote:
sorry for the curiosity but its sounds great kit for email, internet, movie and ebooks!

I can't wait, I really like the ipod touch but I find the screen too small. I think the iPad is going to be so much better. Its definitely going to get a lot of use as an e-book reader, forum browser, podcast player. It will more than likely completely replace my macbook Pro. I'll be carrying it around every day and leaving the MBP at home.

soundzen

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
No USB or Memory Card.

> i was hoping i could load a movie on a usb pen and play it on ipad

Cypher wrote:
If you have the 3G model you can fit a micro sim card and connect to the internet over a mobile broadband connection.

> i have a sim card but its not micro... do you mean the more common SIM mobile phone card?

Cypher wrote:
I have a few on my Touch which I've synced via iTunes and I also stream live video to it from my iMac.

> so i must upload my movies into itunes of my mac mini, then sync with the ipad? if there is no port to upload files, it all relies on the wifi?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soundzen wrote:

> i was hoping i could load a movie on a usb pen and play it on ipad

I'm not sure if the camera kit may allow that.

Soundzen wrote:
> i have a sim card but its not micro... do you mean the more common SIM mobile phone card?

No - I was hoping it was a standard mobile phone sim but its a newer smaller design of sim card.

Soundzen wrote:
> so i must upload my movies into itunes of my mac mini, then sync with the ipad? if there is no port to upload files, it all relies on the wifi?

no, syncing via iTunes will be over the USB lead / dock connector.

soundzen

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your insight - to me all that seems complicated...
hope you enjoy your ipad!
PS: could you help me out with this post please? (merge mkv 000)
http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=189042&highlight=#189042
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had an email from Apple to say my iPad has shipped, I can't wait for Friday Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: