123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Steam for Mac Launching Today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Steam for Mac Launching Today Reply with quote

Steam for Mac Launching Today
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Posted by: Kenan

Attention all gamers, Valve is in the process of launching their Steam for Mac online gaming service and store today. According to the company, the first collection of Mac titles will demonstrate "Steam Play," which allows customers to purchase a game once and play it on all Steam supported platforms. New titles are then scheduled to come out each Wednesday. All you really need to do is download the client software to jump in and get started.

"Among the initial titles available on Wednesday will be Runic Games' critically acclaimed Torchlight. "We're very excited to be bringing Torchlight to the Mac," said Max Schaefer, co-founder of Runic Games. "Having Steam for the Mac solves so many problems for us as a developer. We look forward to our future games coming out on the Mac as well."

In addition to bringing the online functionality of Steam to the Mac, Valve will also make its Steamworks suite of publishing and development tools available on the Mac platform. These include product key authentication, copy protection, auto-updating, social networking, matchmaking, anti-cheat technology, and more.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1516.html
Zuma

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I need another copy of Zuma. Wink

Very cool though! I can't wait to see the store fill up.
JayMax

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am currently downloading Torchlight as I type. Been wanting to play this for awhile, and they have it 50% off. Woo Hoo Good things do come those who wait! Very Happy

10 Mac Mini | 09 Macbook
16GB IPhone 3GS | 32GB IPad
twitch

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious how some of the games like counter strike source will play on the mac mini with 9400m integrated gfx. I have the mini hooked upto a 24" dell 2408wfp and a 30" 2560x1600 dell 3008wfp and while the 9400m can power both displays I'm hesitant to think it can offer up hardly 25 fps on CSS at 2560x1600 on the 30"
Mac Mini (mid '09) 2 ghz, 4gb ddr3, intel SSD 80gb g2, bose qc2 headphones, 24" Dell LCD 3008wfp + 2408wfp, apple wireless keybd, logitech g7 mouse, hp 2600n color laser printer; lenovo x61 tablet; Blu-ray HTPC/gaming rig win 7
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free Portal! Cool

Where's Team Fortress 2 though? I thought that would be a launch title.
JayMax

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there hasn't been any date released for TF2, CS, or L4D yet. Might be a little while.

10 Mac Mini | 09 Macbook
16GB IPhone 3GS | 32GB IPad
adv2k169

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i downloaded it and i'm downloading portal as I speak.

It'll take a while.

I have 1.83 Ghz Mac Mini with Snow Leopard and 2 gigs of RAM, Chipset Model: GMA 950.

Should I be excited or is my Mac Mini to ancient to play some quality games? I have a nice Monitor (1920x1080 23 inch widescreen display)

I have no idea how to check spec requirements. Will the games tell me I can't play? I have no idea what to expect. I want to be excited but I know My mini isn't super hardcore new so I'm worried that it's going to be a tease
MrBabou

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portal's requirements are pretty low, but I would expect just about any game to play like crap on an integrated chip, mostly one like the GMA 950...

Anyways, expect the worst, that way if it's playable, it'll be a nice surprise. Wink

On a side note: I wonder how many people won't be using their Bootcamp'd Windows install anymore after this...
adv2k169

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBabou wrote:
Portal's requirements are pretty low, but I would expect just about any game to play like crap on an integrated chip, mostly one like the GMA 950...

Anyways, expect the worst, that way if it's playable, it'll be a nice surprise. Wink

On a side note: I wonder how many people won't be using their Bootcamp'd Windows install anymore after this...

I couldn't even get passed the opening menu. It crashed at that point. Sad

It took all night to download that game and nothing. I'll try again.

Does it have an option to read your computer stats and tell you 'you cannot play this game with current specs' before you purchase the game. They should.

At least Portal was free.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrBabou wrote:

Only for Windows Media Center now. Wink
twitch

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just for grins I ran CSS on bootcamp on the 30" dell @ 2560x1600 and it looks gorgeous. Too bad the 9400 is only able to crank out 15-25 fps though this is at max setting. Oddly enough, even if I reduce the graphics setting the fps doesn't rise appreciably.
Mac Mini (mid '09) 2 ghz, 4gb ddr3, intel SSD 80gb g2, bose qc2 headphones, 24" Dell LCD 3008wfp + 2408wfp, apple wireless keybd, logitech g7 mouse, hp 2600n color laser printer; lenovo x61 tablet; Blu-ray HTPC/gaming rig win 7
ReliantLion

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope this will encourage game developers to code for Mac. I used to play on PC games, but now play mostly consoles because of what the market has done to PC games. Steam is great in Windows, I hope it does the same for Mac. I especially like being free of game DVD/CD's and their codes. I can today download the Quake 3 I bought so many years ago.

GGs Steam!
Mr.187

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last, all those Steam titles I purchase when I still had a PC can be used (Not all just yet). Portal is a cool game. The Cake is .....!!!

Had: Core Duo Mac Mini, 30GB Video iPod,ATV and the Apple Hi-Fi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: