123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MKV to AVI converter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soundzen

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: MKV to AVI converter Reply with quote

Quote:
Bear in mind, many MKVs today CAN NOT be converted into AVI files without substantially altering the audio and video information in the container, as MKV has been invented to overcome most of AVIs limitations and can thus hold audio and video streams which are simply incompatible with good old AVI container.

i would like to convert MKV movies into a AVI file
i have the VLC player which reads both MKV and AVI
i need AVI in order to play it on TV with "wd mini tv" kit

what MAC app do you suggest for conversion... even a payed one, pls ???
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the VLC "streaming/exporting wizard". Its under the file menu.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a firmware alteration to you WD device would be better than transcoding the MKV. According the the WD site, it also plays mpg, so why not just use the current Handbrake to transcode the MKV?

However, Handbrake v.93 should output to AVI.

Files that have been paid for, ie iTunes store files, will have DRM which is difficult, if even possible, to overcome to transcode.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!

Last edited by Smithcraft on Sat May 08, 2010 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
soundzen

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: refresh my memory pls! Reply with quote

sorry guys but can you recall me which is the name of the app that takes multiple "MKV.001 / 002 / 003..." files and compress them into 1 single MKV files, please? i cant remember the name (something X) but i do recall clearly the icon was a wooden box / crater --- thanks a million !!! Wink
soundzen

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: BETTERZIP Reply with quote

omg sorry for the mistake about the name... it doesnt have an X (that was the OSX i associated with) and i beleive i find it... its the BETTERZIP with its wood crade... finally i nailed it! so sorry for the cry for help... i was freaking out looking at the tone of mkv files i couldnt merge together!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: