123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How's that garden coming along?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: How's that garden coming along? Reply with quote

Mine? Meh.

We had a long, very cool spring (with lots of nights falling below freezing) and so most of the winter crops I planted (bok choy, radishes, "cut and come again" lettuces, spinach) just sort of loped along. The spinach (Bloomsdale) never did much of anything.

In the space of a couple of days the weather shifted into full southern US mode: HOT. So now I'm hoping the bok choy will come to term without stressing or bolting. In the meantime, I've dug up the rest of the garden and planted the usual hot weather crops: cherry and grape tomatoes, chile peppers (habanero, early jalapeno), more lettuce, zucchini, watermelon, and cucumbers.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weeds are flourishing. Cool
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a patio garden. I grow mostly herbs. My sweet basil is already nearly 2 feet tall. Red hot cherry peppers doing almost as well. I am trying one of those "upside down" growing tomato containers, as well. The reviews on it are mixed. Time will tell on that. Cucumber plant doing surprisingly well. But, it does smell nice out there.
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried one of those upside down tomato thingys last year with mediocre results.

If you are going to try this method I'd suggest you go with a cherry or grape variety of tomato vs. those "beefsteak" or "Big Boy" varieties.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pontificator wrote:
Tried one of those upside down tomato thingys last year with mediocre results.

If you are going to try this method I'd suggest you go with a cherry or grape variety of tomato vs. those "beefsteak" or "Big Boy" varieties.

Alas, I have already gone with a Beefmaster.
Thomo

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Full on weeds here and Im sure I have a pigmy tribe living out there.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its patio gardening for me as well and nothing edible...at least I would try it. In a couple of whiskey barrels I have blue spruce trees, about 4" tall now. I really wanted Fat Alberts, but had a hard time finding any in this area that weren't 10" tall and $200. Then roses in a couple of containers and a couple of window boxes with assorted annuals and wildflowers and such. Nothing fancy, real simple and easy to take care of.

This is what it looked like a couple of years ago right after I finished laying those pavers. Things have grown up a bit since and a grill has been added! Laughing

Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
macmini2010

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New home so I've got builder grass (Ie it still can be pulled up), and mud on either side of my driveway. They call a 17x18 garage a double so I'll be installing a walkway beside driveway (a way around zoning regulations to widen my driveway) to replace the mud from the truck wheels. on the left hand side of my driveway. Does that count as a garden? Oh and a builders landscape package so that means lots of those cheap cedar bush things around the house, 3 dying ash trees (already replaced by builder) and mums by the door. Yeah not to pretty. Will probably plant herbs in the back "landscape feature" and get black loam put in to replace the wonderful clay infill the builder put in. Oh and I've got parts of bricks from the construction and concrete in there too Smile
- Power Mac - G4 "Sawtooth" 450/2/80/DVD/ZIP! Panther
- Mac SE/30 192/30/SuperDrive Ocelot
graceangela9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: How's that garden coming along? Reply with quote

The Pontificator wrote:
Mine? Meh.

We had a long, very cool spring (with lots of nights falling below freezing) and so most of the winter crops I planted (bok choy, radishes, "cut and come again" lettuces, spinach) just sort of loped along. The spinach (Bloomsdale) never did much of anything.

In the space of a couple of days the weather shifted into full southern US mode: HOT. So now I'm hoping the bok choy will come to term without stressing or bolting. In the meantime, I've dug up the rest of the garden and planted the usual hot weather crops: cherry and grape tomatoes, chile peppers (habanero, early jalapeno), more lettuce, zucchini, watermelon, and cucumbers.

I agree with you that you should change your crops or plantation according to the changing weather because if you will not change then it will be of no use.
graceangela9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
Its patio gardening for me as well and nothing edible...at least I would try it. In a couple of whiskey barrels I have blue spruce trees, about 4" tall now. I really wanted Fat Alberts, but had a hard time finding any in this area that weren't 10" tall and $200. Then roses in a couple of containers and a couple of window boxes with assorted annuals and wildflowers and such. Nothing fancy, real simple and easy to take care of.

This is what it looked like a couple of years ago right after I finished laying those pavers. Things have grown up a bit since and a grill has been added! Laughing

I think you are using a best method of gardening since you are using simple and inexpensive plantation that is easy to maintain also.Its good if you have added a grill,this will save your plants.
graceangela9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmini2010 wrote:
New home so I've got builder grass (Ie it still can be pulled up), and mud on either side of my driveway. They call a 17x18 garage a double so I'll be installing a walkway beside driveway (a way around zoning regulations to widen my driveway) to replace the mud from the truck wheels. on the left hand side of my driveway. Does that count as a garden? Oh and a builders landscape package so that means lots of those cheap cedar bush things around the house, 3 dying ash trees (already replaced by builder) and mums by the door. Yeah not to pretty. Will probably plant herbs in the back "landscape feature" and get black loam put in to replace the wonderful clay infill the builder put in. Oh and I've got parts of bricks from the construction and concrete in there too Smile

Yes why not it will be count as a garden.You are only making a way between garden It does mean that you are destroying your garden.
graceangela9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuentecigar wrote:
I have a patio garden. I grow mostly herbs. My sweet basil is already nearly 2 feet tall. Red hot cherry peppers doing almost as well. I am trying one of those "upside down" growing tomato containers, as well. The reviews on it are mixed. Time will tell on that. Cucumber plant doing surprisingly well. But, it does smell nice out there.

It is a good idea of planting tomatoes along with Red hot cherry.Tomatoes is very useful plantation you can use tomato for various purpose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: