123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WPSK2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperFused

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: WPSK2 Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
Just had my Mac Mini and all seems well apart from not being able to get it to connect with my Netgear router. The Mac can see the routers signal but I cant enter the WPSK passphrase as the only options given by my Mac are for WEP.
The Mac works fine in a hard wired configeration.
Any ideas anyone?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEP is a older security system than WPA.

What mini and Mac Os are you running ?

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
SuperFused

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Affraid its an old model, its all I could afford.
Mac Mini 1.42GHz SD - 80GB Ultra ATA Drive - SuperDrive DVD Recorder - Internal Bluetooth + AirPort Extreme Card, 1gb Ram, Mac OS 10.4, Tiger.
Regards,
Nick.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with Airport or PPC macs. I think in order to use your wireless card you would have to reduce your wireless network security down to WEP or WPA from your current WPA2

From wikipedia

Quote:
The original graphite AirPort base station used 40-bit Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP). The second generation model (known as Dual Ethernet or Snow) AirPort base station, like most other Wi-Fi products, used 40-bit or 128-bit Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP). AirPort Extreme and Express base stations retain this option, but also allow and encourage the use of Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) and, as of July 14, 2005, WPA2.

If its an extreme it may support WPA. WEP is pretty easy to get around so probably not the best option to reduce your security down to WEP unless your really desperate to use it.

Others may be more familiar with your Airport Extreme Card and know of a way to enable it for WPA.

Have you looked in System Preferences - Network - Highlight your Airport Card - Click on Advanced - Edit your setting

When you click on the edit pencil icon you should see a setup page where you can set the Security and Password. Clicking on the Security should give you a list of available options

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
SuperFused

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cypher
Thanks for your help on the networking problem, all sorted now.
Regards,
Nick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: