123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MiniMax for Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: MiniMax for Mac Mini Reply with quote

MiniMax for Mac Mini
Wednesday November 30, 2005

Iomega today announced the MiniMax USB 2.0/FireWire desktop hard drive is available in the United States. The MiniMax has been available in Europe since early August. The MiniMax is just 6.5 inches square and 2 inches tall and easily stacks with the Apple Mac Mini. The MiniMax Drive is a practical upgrade to the internal 40GB or 80GB native capacity of the Mac mini, delivering up to 250GB in storage capacity along with a 3-port Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0) hub and 3-port FireWire hub. A smart power switch allows the drive to power up and down in concert with the Mac Mini, and a specially designed active/passive cooling system keeps the desktop virtually noiseless.

"Iomega's new MiniMax Drive answers the need for style and functionality that Mac Mini users need today," said Brian Still, Manager of Product and Channel Marketing, Iomega Corporation. "The MiniMax Drive delivers an upgrade in capacity and the additional FireWire and USB hubs that Mac users need to utilize an array of peripherals, and it complements the features of the Mac Mini without drawing attention to itself, making a great computer even better for organizing and protecting digital movies, photography and music."

The MiniMax is now shipping in a 160GB capacity model for $199.95 and 250GB capacity model for $249.95.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/401.html
resuna

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm the first with the obligatory "another ugly logo all over the front" post...
cbates139

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Ministack clone? Reply with quote

Just curious -- The photo is almost identical to the MiniStack, at least in appearance. MiniStack seems to lead on cache (8meg vs 2meg) and capacity.

Hayward, CA
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Ministack clone? Reply with quote

cbates139 wrote:
Just curious -- The photo is almost identical to the MiniStack, at least in appearance. MiniStack seems to lead on cache (8meg vs 2meg) and capacity.

My guess is that they're all made by the same company in Taiwan (or somewhere else), other companies just put their name on it.

The difference in cache is because companies can use different drives.

I, for exemple, swapped my internal Mac mini drive with a 80GB/5400RPM one (it was actually cheaper to buy an external 2.5" USB 2.0 drive and rip it apart than buying the drive alone, but anyway). I then used a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter and installed my old 80GB/4200RPM drive into my M9-DX (which I ordered with no drive).

It keeps both the M9-DX and the Mac mini cooler and silent. I don't need blazing speed to read JPEGs, AACs and other various documents. Everything that needs speed (OS, applications, games) are on the 5400RPM drive.

And with my Mac mini's 1GB of RAM, I can't complain much about the speed (except in World of Warcraft, in IronForge, at 20:00 on saturday, but that's more of a GPU issue). Very Happy
andp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ministack clone? Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
My guess is that they're all made by the same company in Taiwan (or somewhere else), other companies just put their name on it.

They are the Mac Power M9-DX. Each company repackages them with a hard drive and warranty. Then, they are required to put an ugly logo on the front of the case. Laughing
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ministack clone? Reply with quote

andp wrote:
They are the Mac Power M9-DX. Each company repackages them with a hard drive and warranty. Then, they are required to put an ugly logo on the front of the case. Laughing

Well, I'm glad I got the Mac Power M9-DX! All I had to do was to disconnect that silly front LED! Wink

...Seriously, was it that hard to make the led fit with the one on the Mac mini? Then again, Belkin got the LED right with their Mac mini hubs, but went for a white plastic casing...
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ministack clone? Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:

Then again, Belkin got the LED right with their Mac mini hubs, but went for a white plastic casing...

I think those Belkin hubs would have looked better in silver. I don't mind the LED on my miniStack. I'm just glad there isn't a logo on it.
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the white plastic on the Belkin. I certainly don't want to pay for an aluminum shell, and I think silver plastic looks tacky like early '80s Radio Shack junk. The white's a nice complement to the aluminum shell of the mini.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
I like the white plastic on the Belkin. I certainly don't want to pay for an aluminum shell, and I think silver plastic looks tacky like early '80s Radio Shack junk. The white's a nice complement to the aluminum shell of the mini.

The miniStack is made out of plastic and looks pretty good sitting next to the mini. It can be done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: