123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adobe Releases Flash Player Gala Preview with Hardware...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:44 am    Post subject: Adobe Releases Flash Player Gala Preview with Hardware... Reply with quote

Adobe Releases Flash Player Gala Preview with Hardware Acceleration
Thursday, April 29, 2010
Posted by: Brian

Adobe has announced the release of the Flash Player Gala preview with support for H.264 video hardware decoding on certain Macs running Mac OS X 10.6.3. This support allows Flash Player to offload H.264 video decoding tasks from the CPU to deliver smooth, high quality video with minimal overhead, improving video playback performance, reducing system resource utilization, and extending battery life. In fact, AnandTech has already run some tests showing a nice decrease in CPU utilization. But to receive this benefit, you'll need a Mac with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, GeForce 320M or GeForce GT 330M graphics.

It should also be noted that you'll be able to recognize when video hardware decoding is in use when you see a small white square appear in the upper left corner of a video.

The final version of the Flash Player 10.1 with this support is scheduled to come out later this year. Until then, you can grab a copy of the Flash Player Gala preview here (direct download) if you are interested.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1506.html
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Videos look nice and CPU usage is down like 20 points, but now you have an annoying white square in the top corner. Is there anyway to get rid of that thing?
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashtastic! I'm way down on CPU usage with YouTube and Hulu. It's still not as good as the performance in Windows though.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

performance still sucks!!!!

This help's how?????

safari still crashes on sites that use tons of flash content thanks but no thanks.
theGimpiest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plex just released hardware decoding support also, which is good news. I'll give this a shot, since I use hulu, but I wish someone would develop a replacement for flash video.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish support was offered for the 8600M GT.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theGimpiest wrote:
Plex just released hardware decoding support also, which is good news. I'll give this a shot, since I use hulu, but I wish someone would develop a replacement for flash video.

Plex is running like a champ, but there are a lot of syncing issues with audio and video.
theGimpiest

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
Plex is running like a champ, but there are a lot of syncing issues with audio and video.

I haven't experience any. Are you referring to Plex in general or with the new hardware support?
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
Videos look nice and CPU usage is down like 20 points, but now you have an annoying white square in the top corner. Is there anyway to get rid of that thing?

Same here (mini 2.26 with 9400) - but also I have the same question: "an annoying white square in the top corner. Is there anyway to get rid of that thing?" - let's hope it's only with the prerelease versions, to show it's actually working?
-------
Edit: Actually - on further testing, I ONLY get the white square on YouTube and Vimeo, and NOT my own H.264 video clips played in the browser's Flash plug-in??
fiat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I have downloaded/installed the new flash player. Then I tried some youtube site video with Firefox and Safari all without noticing any significant improvement and also saw no white square in the video. I wonder if the new flash player has been upgraded in my browsers? Any idea?
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat wrote:
Hi, I have downloaded/installed the new flash player. Then I tried some youtube site video with Firefox and Safari all without noticing any significant improvement and also saw no white square in the video. I wonder if the new flash player has been upgraded in my browsers? Any idea?

Which particular mini have you? (or rather: which Graphics chipset?)

And did you actually d/l "flashplayer10_gala_p1_042810.dmg"? [ Direct download link here. ]
I didn't first time (doh!) - as the other new prelease Flash 10.1 (non-Gala) is on the same download pages linked to above, and I initialy went to the wrong link.
BrianA

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a 2.26 with the 9400m (purchased about a month ago) and I'm not seeing any performance increases either. YouTube videos are showing the white box, the Adobe tester page shows I have Gala installed, yet Firefox is still using 90%+ CPU when playing videos.

Overall, and underwhelming "improvement".
fiat

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooblie wrote:
Which particular mini have you? (or rather: which Graphics chipset?)

Early 2009 with 9400.

Quote:
And did you actually d/l "flashplayer10_gala_p1_042810.dmg"?...

Yes, and I checked in adobe test site. As BrianA's similar experience, I think I have no joy for this new flash player. Actually I like to revise a bit of my experience: there maybe some less noticeable improvement in cpu usage for some youtube videos (with no white square), but not for those yt videos with white square. Worse for those with white square: most of them do not show video (only a static image), but audio fine; few show chopping video; and one or two are totally dead with nothing but white square! I believe I (and some others) have been, previously unawared, recruited as a software tester by adobe.
fiat

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat wrote:

Yes, and I checked in adobe test site. As BrianA's similar experience, I think I have no joy for this new flash player. Actually I like to revise a bit of my experience: there maybe some less noticeable improvement in cpu usage for some youtube videos (with no white square), but not for those yt videos with white square. Worse for those with white square: most of them do not show video (only a static image), but audio fine; few show chopping video; and one or two are totally dead with nothing but white square! I believe I (and some others) have been, previously unawared, recruited as a software tester by adobe.

Can anyone (with new/old flash player) check this youtube video and comment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSbp372Fbq0

Thanks
BrianA

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fiat wrote:

Can anyone (with new/old flash player) check this youtube video and comment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSbp372Fbq0

Gala player, Firefox = sound, but no video at 360p (grey blotches). 480p seems fine. No little white box showing acceleration. 30-50% CPU usage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: