123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I use this Linksys wireless router/modem/4port ethernet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beachmonk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Can I use this Linksys wireless router/modem/4port ethernet Reply with quote

Tiger direct has Linksys WRT160N Ultra RangePlus Wireless N Router - 300Mbps, 802.11n, 4-Port for sale for $60.

I am moving to a new home with my gf and her wireless dell laptop and my hard wired macmini. We want to be able to have wireless access around the house and access to a printer through wireless but our printers are not wireless.

Will this router work for us? I know my macmini but not networking.

We have cable access to the house.

Thank you.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Providing your modem (Cable ADSL etc) has an ethernet port then that should work fine. Your modem will connect via the yellow port and your computers into the 4 blue ports or wireless.

The only issue will be the printer, as that router does not have a printer port.

You could set the printer up on the Mini and have it shared by the other computers on the network

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
beachmonk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Thank you good Stuff. Reply with quote

I see how they mean sharing a high speed network. For some reason I thought that meant that it could function as a modem as well.

Give me a little over view of printer sharing on my mini, please. I have done it on a PC at work but never on a Mac. Then how do I share it on the windows laptop? I need an IP address right?

On the other hand, would there be a better router I could use? Do routers come with modems and switches built in. I am of the mind that fewer devices means more space.

Thank you.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can get routers which have an integral modem but you would have to get one which suites your connection method ADSL etc

If your buying a new router though it might be easier to look for one which includes a Print server. You can get routers with USB ports which allow the device on the port to be available to the network. This could be a printer, external HDD drive etc.

For the printer sharing via the mini method, you just need to hook up the printer to the mini via USB and install the drivers etc. On the mini you will access it as a local printer.

For the rest of your network you would need to set the printer as a shared device. In System Preferences - Sharing you would then need to enable Printer Sharing.

On the windows machines, once you have them all part of the same network, you should be able to just select Add new Printer and then select Network attached printer, and select the printer from the list. It might also be easier if you install Bonjour for Windows.

beachmonk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Routers with Integral modem Reply with quote

Do you have any router suggestions I can research?

I am looking for one that includes wireless, the usb port (hopefully more than one), ports for multiple hard wired devices and works with cable connection. I did a quick search but the info was too much to wade through.

I think I can handle the printer sharing if necessary.

Peace
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any suggestion really as I still use my old Belkin router and I think my next router is likely to be an Apple Airport Extreme - $179 or possibly a Time Capsule 1TB - $299 or 2TB $499

Apple is an expensive option but gets good reviews.

If not Apple then I would be looking for one with WPA2 security, gigabit ethernet and which offers 802.11G & 802.11N wireless.

I think with the USB on some routers you can also plug in a USB HUB to add additional devices, I'm not 100% sure if they all can though

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: