123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you guys Shut Down your Mini?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yakabod

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Do you guys Shut Down your Mini? Reply with quote

Loving my mini so far, with the quietness and the cool temperature. Question: Do you guys ever shut down your mini? How long can I leave it running? Is there a recommended setting I should adjust when leaving my mini active?

My iPhone, I rarely restart or shutdown. It's pretty much on 24/7. Is this the same with the mini?

Thanks!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One could say it's better to leave any computer running a Unix based OS running all the time, since Unix OSs do house cleaning on a regular basis during the off hours.

If I'm doing something where I need the minis to be running, I leave them on. If I don't, I turn them off.

If you choose to shut off your OS X computers, you can use Onyx(make sure you get the correct version for your version of OS X) to run the maintenance scripts.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked my iMac with a power meter when I first bought it and I was amazed at how little power sleep mode actually appeared to use. I wouldn't worry about leaving it on from an energy use point of view, but even so I still choose to turn off when I'm not using it.

My Macbook Pro on the other hand I tend to sleep all the time, mainly so I can have it turning on instantly when I need it.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
colryn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mini runs 24/7 which is running Snow Leopard server for my clients.
iMac 24" 2.8C2D, 320 HDD
15" MBP
ATV
16G iPhone
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I leave both my Macs on all the time, they sleep well and wake from sleep even better. If I am gone for a weekend or longer I shut them down.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
I leave both my Macs on all the time, they sleep well and wake from sleep even better. If I am gone for a weekend or longer I shut them down.

Ditto Laughing
swordsandtequila

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double ditto.
NT Guardian Maximus 1TB Raid1, 500GB Raid0
OWC external Superdrive
An iPod for every occasion
iPhone 3g
jetmech1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I turn my Macs off is when we leave on vacation or we are away for the week. They all wake quickly and draw minimal power when in sleep mode.
HP a710n AMD Athlon XP 3100, 1GB,
27" iMac 3.06 C2D
yakabod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so sweet! Lovin my mini so far. So quiet and fast! Thanks everyone
DewGuy1999

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
One could say it's better to leave any computer running a Unix based OS running all the time, since Unix OSs do house cleaning on a regular basis during the off hours.

If I'm doing something where I need the minis to be running, I leave them on. If I don't, I turn them off.

If you choose to shut off your OS X computers, you can use Onyx(make sure you get the correct version for your version of OS X) to run the maintenance scripts.

SC

My understanding is that with OS X 10.5 Leopard and higher it's no longer necessary to use something like OnyX to run the maintenance scripts as they're automatically "caught up" if missed. A great way to take care of it under OS X 10.4 Tiger is a widget called Maintidget http://www.giantmike.com/widgets/Maintidget.html.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that were so, I'm wondering why Onyx would still be around for each version of the OS that has come out? Perhaps I should say - Why does it continue to offer to run the maintenance scripts in newer versions which are keyed to OS versions?

I've seen one mention at the Anacron website that 10.5 runs the launchd jobs when the next time the Mac is awakened. However, it's pretty easy for me to tell the difference between when my HTmini is running the maintenance scripts, and when it isn't.

Well, there is nothing better than spending a Friday night trying to find out what jobs launchd runs at start up. I'm not finding much information other than what 10.4 does at start up.

However, I would still recommend Onyx as you can do more with it than just run the maintenance scripts.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
DewGuy1999

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
If that were so, I'm wondering why Onyx would still be around for each version of the OS that has come out? Perhaps I should say - Why does it continue to offer to run the maintenance scripts in newer versions which are keyed to OS versions?

I've seen one mention at the Anacron website that 10.5 runs the launchd jobs when the next time the Mac is awakened. However, it's pretty easy for me to tell the difference between when my HTmini is running the maintenance scripts, and when it isn't.

Well, there is nothing better than spending a Friday night trying to find out what jobs launchd runs at start up. I'm not finding much information other than what 10.4 does at start up.

However, I would still recommend Onyx as you can do more with it than just run the maintenance scripts.

SC

You know, I've wondered that also. I've read contradictory accounts of whether they do get run automatically or not. Since the newest OS X I've got here is 10.4.11 I guess I'll have to wait till I get a new Mac with a new OS to find out for myself if they do. One nice feature of the Maintidget widget is that it shows when they were last run.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: