123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Video display color depth; where is it found/adjusted?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jocko463

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Video display color depth; where is it found/adjusted? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've had my mini now for a couple of months and finally got around to calibrating the monitor. I have done this before on a regular basis with my old Dell 4600; this was the first time with the mini.

I'm using a SpyderExpress 2 and the setup software guides you easily through the process but ....

The first question it asks is about color depth ...and setting it to 24-bit color (vs 16 bit or 256). Where do you find this information? I am running Snow Leopard. Nothing appears in the "Display" menu about color depth that I could find.

Try as I might I couldn't dig this dig up this information Confused Is this one of those things Apple deems too technical for Mac-a-philes? And if it is not user selectable what is its default setting?

Thanks,

Mike
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that it's always on 32bit color since the switch to OS X, if not earlier.

It has nothing to do with Apple thinking their users aren't smart enough, but that there is no reason to run a lower bit depth with any computer Apple has released in the last 10 years.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
jocko463

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I believe that it's always on 32bit color since the switch to OS X, if not earlier.

It has nothing to do with Apple thinking their users aren't smart enough, but that there is no reason to run a lower bit depth with any computer Apple has released in the last 10 years.

SC

Thanks for the reply ....32 bit ....well that's even better. It would still be nice to find that number somewhere ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: