123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to do

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: What to do Reply with quote

What to do.

I currently run a 3ghz pc that is getting old and I plan to change it soon. It is linked to a 19" monitor that is starting to get a little fuzzy and will also need replacing. My heart tells me to go for a 27" imac but my head says otherwise. I generally use my macbook more than the PC and that will just be used for surfing and word processing etc. My PC generally gets used with photoshop for processing pictures and photography work. So my options are:

1. Just go for the IMAC and make the full move over to mac

2. Keep the PC and buy a nice 24" IPS monitor and then have a twin set up where the PC just does the photo work and Im able to connect the macbook to the monitor for all the other stuff.

However, because there is always a however, would a macmini be a good option for replacing the PC with option 2. My worry about the IMAC is that its all one item and if things go wrong the whole system come to a stop. Another thought is to buy a second user mac but Im not sure what to consider.

So, what should I do.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my iMac for 3 years now, initially it was a toss up between a mini and the iMac and I was a little reluctant about going the All In One route. In the end I did go for the iMac as it seemed better value for money and it has served me well during that time. In my opinion its also a much better looking and faster machine as well.

Would I make the same decision again now? I'm not so sure.

I love the iMac but recent build quality problems have started to put me off ever buying one again. I also think the mini is a very capable machine and with the newer models now having better specs than the previous ones, and also seeing how my iMac has grown from a single piece of hardware on my desk to now having multiple bits of kit hanging off it, 3 firewire drives, a Nas drive scanners, printer, second monitor usb hubs etc

I would probably go the Mac Mini route next time and get two identical monitors hooked up to it, rather than my current set up of a lovely iMac and a non matching ugly second monitor

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though my first Mini had a 1.66GHz CPU, it served me well for 2.5 years -- but that's not to say that I wasn't envious of the iMac owners who had 2.16GHZ or 2.4GHz processors.

Now that Minis have faster processors, greater memory capacity and better GPUs, I'm less likely to ever buy an iMac (especially with those damn glossy displays Mad ).

So I'd agree with Cypher; treat yourself to a fast Mini and a photo editing app for OS X and use that fuzzy monitor until you want to upgrade it. Add a second screen in your own time. Add more memory and storage when you feel like it. And so on.
Thomo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - I think it will have to be the monitor first as I need it for photo processing and being fuzzy and a bit on the blink is not helping. So, Im edging towards new monitor that I can switch between the macbook and pc to start with.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote to go with your heart.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thomo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iMav wrote:
I vote to go with your heart.

That always seems to get me into trouble for some reason.
cheef

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 27" iMac is an incredible machine with a beautiful display, Thomo. Of course I'm biased because I have one, but I can't fault it. I love it to bits.
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
Thomo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 27" is very very tempting but my gut is say no. I'm a firm believer in trusting my gut feeling as it is normally right but for some reason it is saying no. That then keeps pulling me back to a decent monitor and using the PC and macbook. Hmmm, will have to consult my tarot cards and see what comes up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: