123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS final release 4-29
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS final release 4-29 Reply with quote

Anyone going to check it out? And out of curiosity, why is this being released in April when Ubuntu usually releases in October?
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its on a 6 monthly release schedule, hence the ".04" in about half the release numbers.

I checked out the server release in preparation for moving to 10.04 from 8.04 LTS. It worked fine. From my point of view, server software updates are good. Desktop is supposed to be an improvement, at least visually, but I haven't checked that out.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Ubuntu is on a 6 month release schedule. I have been testing 10.04 since alpha 2. The biggest changes are the speedy boot time and the appearance - going to a darker theme with a soft purple desktop picture. Also to window buttons on the left side like MacOSX. (Some grumbling about this on forums, but it can easily be changed back.) I'm looking forward to the formal release, when I will replace the Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Edition with the current version on my Wind netbook.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to move to it, I need to do a full Linux reinstall as for some reason my swap partition isn't being recognized at boot, then again my whole system could use a maintenance day.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
gts116

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on going the LiveCD route (copied to a flash drive) for a few weeks to get a feel for it before I wipe anything.
- iPhone 4 16G (VZW)
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a CD-R disc that can hold 734MB in order to burn the 10.4 iso to disc. All I have...and all the stores around here have...are the standard CD-R's with 700MB capacity.

Confused

Can I burn this to a DVD-R disc?
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you have to do is download the iso and install it on a usb stick. Only problem is I don't know how you do it on a Mac, though I suspect it isn't difficult. It can definitely be done on Linux or Windows. I did mine from the previous installation of Ubuntu, which has an application called Startup Disk Creator. I now have the new Ubuntu Netbook Edition installed on my MSI Wind. I have an SSD in it, and startup time is incredible: 19 seconds from grub screen to working desktop with internet!!! This is more than 10 seconds faster than the previous version.
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
All you have to do is download the iso and install it on a usb stick. Only problem is I don't know how you do it on a Mac, though I suspect it isn't difficult. It can definitely be done on Linux or Windows. I did mine from the previous installation of Ubuntu, which has an application called Startup Disk Creator. I now have the new Ubuntu Netbook Edition installed on my MSI Wind. I have an SSD in it, and startup time is incredible: 19 seconds from grub screen to working desktop with internet!!! This is more than 10 seconds faster than the previous version.

I tried with much FAIL to try to use OS X to transfer the last Ubuntu (and several other Linux distros) from .iso to a USB flash stick. You have to use the terminal to do it. I noticed that the Ubuntu help page on burning to a CD/DVD/USB specifically deleted directions for OS X.

I had to have someone install Ubuntu Netbook Remix on a flash drive for me (which works about 80% on my Aspire One with Linpus) then use that OS's DiskCreator/Unetbootin to create yet another bootable flash drive. the process is a pain in the ass.
caulktel

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pontificator wrote:
You need a CD-R disc that can hold 734MB in order to burn the 10.4 iso to disc. All I have...and all the stores around here have...are the standard CD-R's with 700MB capacity.

Confused

I burned it to a standard blank CD and it fits fine, just barely. BTW, I love it, best yet.
iPhone 4S 16GB
Voyager

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pontificator wrote:
I tried with much FAIL to try to use OS X to transfer the last Ubuntu (and several other Linux distros) from .iso to a USB flash stick. You have to use the terminal to do it. I noticed that the Ubuntu help page on burning to a CD/DVD/USB specifically deleted directions for OS X.

I had to have someone install Ubuntu Netbook Remix on a flash drive for me (which works about 80% on my Aspire One with Linpus) then use that OS's DiskCreator/Unetbootin to create yet another bootable flash drive. the process is a pain in the ass.

I just use VirtualBox - on this mini I have installs of Ubuntu 8.04, 9.01 and now 10.04 - 2 copies of XP, Macpup and Aros installed to play with.

The benefit to you would be that you don't need to burn a disk - just boot the virtual machine and install from the ISO.
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caulktel wrote:
The Pontificator wrote:

Confused

I burned it to a standard blank CD and it fits fine, just barely. BTW, I love it, best yet.

All my attempts to burn using a standard 700MB CD-R have failed.

"Failed to Analyze" is the message I keep getting.
caulktel

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe my media is slightly larger than what is printed on it, it is a TDK CD-R80 700MB disk, but yes you can burn to a blank DVD instead, I have done it both ways.
iPhone 4S 16GB
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I checked out the server release in preparation for moving to 10.04 from 8.04 LTS.

A new LTS version is usually released every 2 years.
ReliantLion

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a DVD since I stopped buying CD-Rs. The DVD worked just fine.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The boot time speed of the server distro is ridiculously fast.

Not thrilled with the move to OpenJava, but removing and installing Sun java is fairly painless.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: