123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac remote access (from another MAC and PC)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aljosah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Mac remote access (from another MAC and PC) Reply with quote

Hello,

I would like to have a remote access to my home mac. Dynamic DNS is already up and running via no-ip services, so that shouldn't be a problem.

How can I set up a remote access to my mac from another mac and how can I do that from another PC? I presume, these are two different procedures. Is there anything built in to MAC OS already, or do I need a third party software? It would be nice, that I wouldn't install anything on the computer, from which I will be accessing my mac.
MacScout67

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can set up VNC, iChat or use something like LogMeIn free. I like their service a lot.
aljosah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, this looks impressive. So, if I understood correctly, all I have to do is install logmein to my computer and than I can login to it from everywhere I want using Firefox...

My needs are simple. When I am not at home, I would still like to access my computer if needed... For file sharing I have Wuala anyways...

Does MAC OS have anything similar to Remote desktop connection from windows? I am looking for something like that
docbrown

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go to sharing in system prefs, you can tick the option to share screen.
you will need to forward port 5900 your router to be able to access remotely outside your lan.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help you with the PC but if you want to use the Apple Screen Sharing app you can find it and copy (don't move) to your App Folder.

The file is located here: /System » Library » CoreServices » Screen Sharing.app

I use it to control my Mini all the time, very easy to use.
KTsBBQ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use VNC to control my mac wherever I am. It's no that hard to setup, especially if you already have dyndns set up. As docbrown said, you have to forward port 5900 and you have to enable remote management in system prefs. Then just download a vnc viewer on the other computer. I use tightvnc on a pc, jollyfast vnc on a mac, and jaadu vnc on the iphone. Just enter your dyndns domain name and your password (i would recommend that you require a password) and youre good to go.
MSI Wind U123 1.66 GHz Atom, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HD, Mac OS X Snow Leopard - Sold
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Networking All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: