123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's time for Apple to let you resize windows from anywhere.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waspinator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:19 am    Post subject: It's time for Apple to let you resize windows from anywhere. Reply with quote

Fine. Some people will insist that it's better to have one menu bar for every last window, even though the arguments in favor of this setup are dubious at best.

But can we all agree that Apple's insistence on keeping the action of window resizing limited to the lower right corner is beyond unreasonable?

There is absolutely no rational reason for this arrangement. Anyone who isn't retarded can successfully manage the task of resizing windows from the top, bottom, left and right borders as well as the three other corners.

C'mon, Apple! For God's sake, I love you but seriously....can't you admit JUST ONCE that Microsoft has a basic feature that is superior enough for you to emulate?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why switch to Mac OS and then just complain that you want it to work like windows. Confused

It sounds to me like the best fix for you would be to go back to using Windows

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Waspinator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Why switch to Mac OS and then just complain that you want it to work like windows. Confused

It sounds to me like the best fix for you would be to go back to using Windows

What the hell kind of nonsense is that? This is a forum to discuss ALL THINGS related to Mac Minis and Mac OS. And you come at me with that "love it or leave it" nonsense?
aljosah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waspinator, yeah. I totally agree with you. Besides, both KDE and GNOME have that kind of window resizing, so it really shouldn't be a problem for Apple to implement this feature. Rolling Eyes
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate that "feature" in Windows!

I go to move a window, and instead I'm resizing it! Worst thing ever!

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Waspinator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:

SC

Excuse me, but you're joking right??

Windows, exactly like Macintosh, only lets you move windows by clicking on the colored area of the top bar.

With Windows, it's only when you click on the edge of the top bar that it lets you resize the window in an upward fashion.

If you have a problem with that, then you need to get your nervous system checked, because clearly you have some major problems with hand-eye coordination.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not starting a flame war, this isn't that sort of place waspinator.

I'm merely stating what I see. Since joining this forum you have posted more than once about Apple NEED to change some feature of Mac OS X so that is more like Windows.

I totally disagree with that which is why I run Mac OS X and not Windows.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple only needs to look at microsoft's feature and realize they(apple) are wrong and microsoft is wrong.

Apple needs to let the bottom left and bottom right do size reduction/increase. Leave the top as a click/drag feature only. I never paid any attention to this problem until I read this thread, but my solution is the only correct one. I know that sounds arrogant , but if you stop to think about it it is not. 33 percent of the world's people by some estimates (lower estimates are 12 percent) are left handed. So a bottom left quarter resize tab is needed along with the right corner resize tab.

The top bar needs to be left alone for this reason. Lots of us use apple as a HTPC and from 10 feet away hand to eye coordination is a lot more difficult then sitting a foot or two from a smaller 21 or 24 inch LCD monitor. Soooo steve if you are reading this go out to your software people and have them add a lower left sizing tab. Leave the top bar alone (unless you want a top bar expansion feature for us HTPC people). Do this in time for osx 10.7.0 (TIC)

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waspinator wrote:
Smithcraft wrote:

SC

Excuse me, but you're joking right??

Windows, exactly like Macintosh, only lets you move windows by clicking on the colored area of the top bar.

With Windows, it's only when you click on the edge of the top bar that it lets you resize the window in an upward fashion.

If you have a problem with that, then you need to get your nervous system checked, because clearly you have some major problems with hand-eye coordination.

No, I'm not joking. And no I don't have problems with hand/eye coordination.

However, if the only way to can respond to comments that are against your desires is to insult people, then you are the person that needs to have their nervous system checked.

Good day.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to make this personal guys. There are things about both OS's to like and dislike. The initial tone of Waspinator's first post seemed more like a rant than an invite for discussion, and that's just fine. Some days we just need to vent and we hope our frustration fall upon an understanding empathetic ear.

Personally I'm not a fan of the way OS X manages windows, but there are so many other things that I like about it.

Waspinator's first post did say "Apple, I love you but.." so you can see there is appreciation for OS X. To me OS X is kind of like a beautiful Ducati sport bike that was designed beautifully from the ground up and then they stuck some crappy cheap mirrors on it to keep it street legal. Come on Ducati, I love you but... The mirrors wouldn't be so bad if the rest of the bike wasn't so darn nice.

It wasn't until Snow Leopard that you could get the date and time to properly display on the menu bar without a hack or a application. This one really got me. Another thing I shake my head at is the fact that there is no add/remove programs feature. I don't want all those preference files etc. hanging around after I uninstall an app (regardless of the minimal amount of space they take).
Waspinator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I'm not starting a flame war, this isn't that sort of place waspinator.

I'm merely stating what I see. Since joining this forum you have posted more than once about Apple NEED to change some feature of Mac OS X so that is more like Windows.

I totally disagree with that which is why I run Mac OS X and not Windows.

What's the point of a forum if all you're going to do is discuss the features you like?

Ok. Let's try that.

I absolutely love the "momentum" scrolling feature.

I love the way Mac OS X never freezes.

I love the way Mac OS X boots up quickly.

I really like the expose feature.

Well....anyone have anything to say about those features? But please, no disagreements. This is only a forum for voicing your pleasure with Macs.
Waspinator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
No need to make this personal guys. There are things about both OS's to like and dislike. The initial tone of Waspinator's first post seemed more like a rant than an invite for discussion, and that's just fine. Some days we just need to vent and we hope our frustration fall upon an understanding empathetic ear.

Personally I'm not a fan of the way OS X manages windows, but there are so many other things that I like about it.

Waspinator's first post did say "Apple, I love you but.." so you can see there is appreciation for OS X. To me OS X is kind of like a beautiful Ducati sport bike that was designed beautifully from the ground up and then they stuck some crappy cheap mirrors on it to keep it street legal. Come on Ducati, I love you but... The mirrors wouldn't be so bad if the rest of the bike wasn't so darn nice.

It wasn't until Snow Leopard that you could get the date and time to properly display on the menu bar without a hack or a application. This one really got me. Another thing I shake my head at is the fact that there is no add/remove programs feature. I don't want all those preference files etc. hanging around after I uninstall an app (regardless of the minimal amount of space they take).

Actually, one thing I was extremely pleasantly surprised to learn of is the fact that most programs for Macintosh computers are downloaded as one file. So when you delete the icon, you delete the entire program....lock, stock, and barrel.

So by and large, there doesn't need to be an "uninstall" or "remove program" feature in Mac OS X.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waspinator wrote:
Actually, one thing I was extremely pleasantly surprised to learn of is the fact that most programs for Macintosh computers are downloaded as one file. So when you delete the icon, you delete the entire program....lock, stock, and barrel.

So by and large, there doesn't need to be an "uninstall" or "remove program" feature in Mac OS X.

The program isn't the issue. It's gone when you delete it. What's left behind are preference files, support files, cache files etc. Very few applications have an uninstall feature that removes the associated files.

This is why programs like AppZapper, CleanApp, Hazel, AppTrap and FileBuddy exist.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waspinator wrote:
So when you delete the icon, you delete the entire program....lock, stock, and barrel.

Not quite true..
If you delete the standard way, by dragging the app into the trash, you will leave some orphaned items behind.
Size wise, the total of these orphaned items does not amount to much, it is just more of an unwanted clutter situation for those like myself who tend to be a tad anal.
I always remove an app, those that do not have their own uninstall routine, by doing a search using "EasyFind".
In most cases I will locate, besides the application itself, between 3 to 5 other items, which would normally get left behind.
Utilities such as "AppZapper" and others are designed to find and remove this fluff, but I find "EasyFind" does a better job, at least for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: