123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini To Evolve Into Digital Hub?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=45

No news, but this is interesting:

"ThinkSecret is reporting that Apple will announce an Intel-based Mac mini in January — presumably at Macworld Expo in San Francisco. According to the story, which I confirmed with another source, the new Mac mini will pack a bunch of new features not found in the original."

So the author knows who the Think Secret source is, and independently confirmed the story? Maybe there's some basis in fact to all this after all.

Of course, depending on which story you read, there's also going to be (or not going to be) Intel iBooks, Intel PowerBooks, Front Row included with iLife '06, and either an Apple camera or a camera built into an iPod.

MWSF will be interesting indeed.

Razz

Jamie

At the rate that Think Secret is going, they are going to run out of products that are rumored to get updates at MWSF...

Should be interesting that is for sure. Personally, I am excited about updates to both iWork and iLife. I would also love to see Apple roll out a real iPod phone (with a click wheel-like interface). None of this 100 song ROKR crap..
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
I would also love to see Apple roll out a real iPod phone (with a click wheel-like interface). None of this 100 song ROKR crap..

That'd be cool, but very unlikey since the ROKR was a bust. I think this Macworld is going to be all about computers and software. That makes me really happy. I'm growing a little tired of "iPod this and iPod that" and mini G4 speed bumps.
iLife's a Bitch!
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Some things will need to be ironed out!!! Reply with quote

jedillwag wrote:
I have a mini, and I do not think it is the answer (YET) here’s why.

1.42 With 512 Ram and super drive.

1. It will not play Apple quick time HD trailers with out dropping frames. It even drops frames on 480p content.

2. Divx HD is ok, and watch able but drops frames as well.

3. Nero HD same as Divx.

Hopefully the Yonah processor and better video card will improve things. I just read a review of the Yonah processor on AnandTech. It has me a little excited even though Divx encoding looks weak compared to AMD. AMD is really sticking it to Intel lately. I hope Apple has their phone number too. Wink

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2627
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Some things will need to be ironed out!!! Reply with quote

OGN wrote:
Hopefully the Yonah processor and better video card will improve things. I just read a review of the Yonah processor on AnandTech. It has me a little excited even though Divx encoding looks weak compared to AMD. AMD is really sticking it to Intel lately. I hope Apple has their phone number too. Wink

http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2627

I'm going to be so happy if Apple puts a dual core Yonah in the mini. It will certainly smoke the G4. I'm still a little concerned with how things like Photoshop and Office will run with Rosetta, but x86 native applications are going to fly. Very Happy
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest musing: the home theater thingy won't be a replacement for the Mini but either an entirely new product altogether or an addition to the top of the "Mini" line, and the rest of the Mini line will at most have the "silent upgrades" made official or have small incremental improvements.

I think Apple would be foolish to do away with their inexpensive machine that's solely a computer.

Smile

Jamie
kuro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
and the rest of the Mini line will at most have the "silent upgrades" made official

That won't happen now. Apple and 3rd parties need to be able to say that all Apple-branded computers introduced in 2006 or later have an Intel core to make any compatibility information clear.

If they were going to make any more official announcement than they already have, they would have done so before Thanksgiving, not in December and certainly not in the new year.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuro wrote:
picaman wrote:
and the rest of the Mini line will at most have the "silent upgrades" made official

That won't happen now. Apple and 3rd parties need to be able to say that all Apple-branded computers introduced in 2006 or later have an Intel core to make any compatibility information clear.

If they were going to make any more official announcement than they already have, they would have done so before Thanksgiving, not in December and certainly not in the new year.

Very true. That's why I'm not a paid pundit! I'm going to stop predicting and resume waiting.

Smile

Jamie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: