123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review: Griffin Technology AirClick USB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Review: Griffin Technology AirClick USB Reply with quote

Review: Griffin Technology AirClick USB
Monday August 1, 2005

If you're looking for a good remote control for your Mac mini or Mac, take a look at Griffin Technologies AirClick USB. The AirClick USB comes packaged with a remote, USB receiver module, USB extension cable, and installation disk. Setting up the AirClick USB couldn't be easier. Simply insert the USB receiver module into any free USB port on the back of your Mac mini or Mac. Next, insert the included installation CD into your Mac and double click the AirClickUSB.pkg to install the required software. The AirClick USB application will be automatically installed into your applications folder.

After you install the software go to your applications folder and click the AirClick USB icon. An AirClick USB icon will now appear in the menu bar with a drop down list of all the controllable applications. You can control iTunes, iDVD, Quicktime, Keynote, PowerPoint, radioShark, and VLC. Simply select the application you wish to control from the drop down list and press any button on the remote to launch it. We selected iTunes and took some screenshots of play and volume being controlled with the remote control.

The remote control measures 2.75" x 1.25" x 0.5" and weighs in at 0.08 oz. There are five buttons allowing for play/pause, next track/fast forward, previous track/rewind, and volume up/down. We liked the layout of the buttons and found them easy to manipulate. The remote also includes a hold button and clip for convenient attachment. Both the bundled software and remote worked flawlessly and lived up to everything advertised.

The range of the AirClick USB is fantastic! We were able to control the Mac mini from up to 40-60 feet away with little trouble. Since the AirClick USB uses RF signals instead of IR you don't have to be in line of sight of the USB receiver. One of the few cons of the AirClick USB is that the USB receiver module protrudes a bit from the back of the Mac mini. The elbow bend on the USB receiver is better suited for horizontally mounted USB ports like found on the iBook or PowerBook. Therefore, you may want to use the included USB extension cable if your Mac mini is close to a wall. Overall, we can recommend the Griffin AirClick USB to our readers and give it a score of 3.5 out of 4 stars. The Griffin AirClick USB is shipping now and retails for $39.99.

Pros:
- Affordably priced.
- RF not IR.
- 40-60 feet remote range.
- Ability to control iTunes, iDVD, Quicktime and more.
- AirClick software works great.
- Remote clip and hold button.
- Includes USB extension cable.

Cons:
- Remote is a little small for big hands.
- USB receiver protrudes from back of Mac mini.

http://www.123macmini.com/accessories/reviews/103.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've wanted to get a remote for the longest time. I can't decide between this one and the Keyspan Express. Confused
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDGI. Why do companies keep inventing proprietary incompatible wireless solutions that stomp on each other instead of just using Bluetooth?
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
IDGI. Why do companies keep inventing proprietary incompatible wireless solutions that stomp on each other instead of just using Bluetooth?

Bluetooth's been cracked and is still relatively expensive, especially for the 100m range. This device has 60 feet, which is still farther than the 10m Bluetooth spec, which most BT modules adhere to, such as the BT modules that Apple uses.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susurrus wrote:
Bluetooth's been cracked [...]

I'll go with the range argument, but no radio transmitter is free, and a basic bluetooth dongle goes for about $10.00 if you shop around.

But "Bluetooth's been cracked"?

I'll bet this remote uses a 3 digit unencrypted "security code", and can be faked out by one of those universal garage door opener widgets.
homerjatmoes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
Susurrus wrote:
Bluetooth's been cracked [...]

I'll go with the range argument, but no radio transmitter is free, and a basic bluetooth dongle goes for about $10.00 if you shop around.

But "Bluetooth's been cracked"?

I'll bet this remote uses a 3 digit unencrypted "security code", and can be faked out by one of those universal garage door opener widgets.

This device also has "security through obscurity". The Blutooth protocol is widley known, I doubt that this is.

This is more than likley the main reason companies develop their own protocols:
Bluetooth Central FAQ wrote:
Will there be any patents, royalties or licences for using Bluetooth technology in products?

Bluetooth is entirely royalty-free. Since there are patents on some aspects of the technology, companies who wish to develop Bluetooth products will have to sign a free licence agreement; however.

This companies lawyers may not have liked the terms.
80GB HDD
External DVD burner
45.23 Xbench 1.2 average
FireWire Boot Guide
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bubba

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one of these from Amazon and I'm sending it back tomorrow (first thing I've ever sent back to Amazon). It is totally unusable, even with the extension cable and sitting on top of my monitor. It only works well if you are in the same room. It will not make it less than 25ft to my living room, much less outside where I was hoping to use it. Don't waste your time. Not even worth the $25 from Amazon.
Susurrus
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
I just got one of these from Amazon and I'm sending it back tomorrow (first thing I've ever sent back to Amazon). It is totally unusable, even with the extension cable and sitting on top of my monitor. It only works well if you are in the same room. It will not make it less than 25ft to my living room, much less outside where I was hoping to use it. Don't waste your time. Not even worth the $25 from Amazon.

Crap. I was actually considering getting one of this. It'd be kind of nice if I start to use my Mini as a media center. I guess BT software on my phone was a cooler option the whole time anyways.
1.42Ghz PPC Mac Mini, 1Gb RAM, 1st Gen
40GB G4 iPod
2GB Black iPod Nano
moldymac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: ATI Reply with quote

I have been using an ATI remote wonder on my mini for a while now and love it, the receiver is big, but can be dumped behind the monitor out of sight.
audio_macmini_jwn

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: Buy the Keyspan Reply with quote

curt wrote:
I've wanted to get a remote for the longest time. I can't decide between this one and the Keyspan Express. Confused

I bought the griffin, it works but I gave it to my son, I bought the Keyspan instead. It has more buttons & software that you can program buttons with.
tiiger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. Bought it today, and like others, will likely return it. Stated "Up to 60 ft" range is laughable. Works in the same room, but go around the corner, and the thing won't work. I'M ONLY 10 FEET AWAY!

I wonder if there's a way to lengthen the antenna in the receiver.
resuna

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiiger wrote:
Stated "Up to 60 ft" range is laughable. Works in the same room, but go around the corner, and the thing won't work. I'M ONLY 10 FEET AWAY!
Erm, that's actually kind of expected. Walls attenuate signals much more than air, and how much depends on the frequency and what the wall's made of. I don't expect something that's only got a 60' range to go through a wall.
lojo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Griffin Air Click USB Reply with quote

Just recently bought the Air Click. It is performing as advertised. Went outside and controlled iTunes through concrete block. I don't think I could expect more out of the remote than that kind of performance. No problems here.
Apple Wireless Keyboard and Mighty Mouse
Sony 32" LCD HDTV Monitor-Bravia
Apple iPod Hi Fi
LaCie mini HUB 500GB
frankie34uk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Remotes Reply with quote

Do any of these remotes allow you to eject the disc inside the mini, or do you continue to have to use the keyboard or mouse for this?

THanks
Frankie
metalisrael

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, ok I was looking into this but the reviews just kinda like shoo me away...

does anyone have any better experience with other models?
thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: