123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about buying a new battery for a MBP.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stabstone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Question about buying a new battery for a MBP. Reply with quote

The battery on my Macbook Pro no longer holds a charge and has not for some time now. I'd like to get a new battery for it but its a MBP from around 2007, will it a new battery do any good or will it burn out just as quick as the old battery seeing how its an older MPB?
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy reputable or buy Apple and you will be fine!
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
Stabstone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I not leave it plugged in all the time? Before I had a wi-fi set up in my place I used to just keep the MBP plugged in all the time. Does that hurt the battery?
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Coconut Battery

It lets you monitor your battery performance and save the status for future comparisons.

My MBP is just over 2 years old, original battery capacity was 5600mAh which has now dropped to 4658mAh only 83% of its original. Its also had 241 complete load cycles

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stabstone wrote:
Should I not leave it plugged in all the time? Before I had a wi-fi set up in my place I used to just keep the MBP plugged in all the time. Does that hurt the battery?

Li Ion batteries, etc are quite a bit better than the older Ni metal metal batteries in regards to the memory issues. But they will still require replacement depending on the total cycles (100% discharge and subsequent recharge). Something you might try if you are leaving it plugged in for extended time, is remove the battery. You will need to think about keeping the battery compartment clean, especially if not enclosed. Also, if you consider this for long periods, you will want the battery neither fully charged nor discharged for long periods.

It sounds to me like you have done a pretty good job with your current battery, with all the things I have done over the years the best life I have had with a Li ion is a little over 3 years before; if you don't like headaches keep doing what you have been doing.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple cripples the CPU when running without the battery, so I would suggest not going this route. Just drain the battery once in a while and you will be fine.

check it
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stabstone wrote:

Hi Stabstone. I was curious about this very thing, so I did some research and wrote about what I found here: http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17461
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: