123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini with a small Samsung TV in kitchen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BradWallace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Mac Mini with a small Samsung TV in kitchen Reply with quote

I have an intel mid 2007 Mini, I am wanting to use it in the Kitchen. I wish to hook it up to a small 20' Samsung TV.

1] Can I watch Cable stations while having Snow Leopard in the background?

2] How do I switch back and forth? can I minimize OSX, while atching the History Channel?

thanks in advance...

bw
ownZero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tv connection will more than likely be with a coax cable, with content from a cable provider or over-the-air antenna, and will connect to the TV's coax input. The mini will connect through either HDMI or VGA input on a digital TV or via a set of rca yellow-video, red and white audio if an analog TV. You switch the TV's input source when wanting to see content from the mini and switch back for tv. Similarly to the set up for a DVD player or VCR.

oZ
BradWallace

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wanting to do a "Web - TV' type thing... have Leopard running, minimize OSX, then watch regular TV shows...

Looks like I am out of luck... No way do I want to disconnect - reconnect just to check the web, while watching the news...

bw
ownZero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get an eyetv tuner and run that through the mini then on to the TV to accomplish what you describe.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As ownZero said you should just be able to change TV inputs on the TV remote control to switch from Mac OS X to TV.

Selecting your various input sources on the TV to switch back and forth. You shouldn't have to disconnect / reconnect. You did mention minimizing OS X so I'm guessing your not wanting to be doing both at the same time so this sounds like the easiest option.

If you do want to do a picture in picture type of setup where you can browse the Internet and watch TV at the same time then something like the Elgato eyeTV would definitely be worth looking at , but for what you described I think you should be fine with switching via the remote.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: