123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows Live Mail to Mac Mail

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jocko463

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Windows Live Mail to Mac Mail Reply with quote

Greetings all,

I am a newbie ...so new I have yet to get my Mini in hand; it's on its way from the folks at B&H Photo. Actually we'll have two baby Macs eventually; one for me and the other for my wife. This is my first post.

I am a refugee ...a switcher ...coming from many years of PC-ing and shaking my head in frustration; Windows does that. I am trying to get ahead of the game in making the switch to OS X. I have been trying to get a leg up on the "Great Change" ...poring over David Pogue's missing manual tome "Switching to the Mac". Most of the swap looks pretty easy, but ...

I am currently using Windows Live Mail in lieu of Outlook Express. What do I need to do to bring my e-mail folders and messages over to the Mac?

Pogue references O2M software (from Little Engine) but this software specifically does *not* support Outlook Express and makes no mention of Windows Live Mail. Pogue also references Thunderbird (from the mozilla folks) ...but again there is no mention of a compatibility or convertability with Windows Live Mail ...although I think it works with Outlook Express.

To add to the confounding, there seems little references for going *from* Windows Live Mail *to* Outlook Express.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated. I might consider just bringing the Mac and PC into my local Apple store ...unfortunately it's not so local. Atlanta has *3* Apple stores; all three located within 25 miles of each other and all three on the North side of the city and, you guessed it, I well on the South side.
Remims

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think you could just set up an account in Mail.

Hold on a sec...

Okay, I just set up Mail to access my Live email account. Works fine. Mail downloaded all (2) messages in there. I'm not sure about Sent Items though. Anyone? (I just set up the account this weekend)
jocko463

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remims wrote:
I would think you could just set up an account in Mail.

Hold on a sec...

Okay, I just set up Mail to access my Live email account. Works fine. Mail downloaded all (2) messages in there. I'm not sure about Sent Items though. Anyone? (I just set up the account this weekend)

What I'm asking is how to migrate my current saved e-mails, along with my file structure and archived e-mails, from my PC over to the Mac.
Remims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but you said you were using Windows Live Mail which to me indicated you are using an online email service. You don't say what program you are using to keep the mail on your computer. After a search, I realized that Windows Live Mail is also a program designed to replace OE.

I rather doubt that there is a proper method to do what you are asking. What export functions does WLM have? I know that Mail in OS X does not have an import function that you can use. With WLM being so new, it is unlikely (but not impossible) that someone has had time to do all the development work necessary that you are asking for.

At this point, all I can say is good luck and has anyone got any ideas?
bazzlevi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Google and IMAP Reply with quote

Set up a free Google account. Configure it to allow IMAP access. (Read up on how IMAP differs from POP3). Set up Windows Live Mail to access your new Gmail account via IMAP. Transfer all of the mail from Windows Live to the gmail account. Then access that account using Mail.app (on the Mac) and transfer the mail from the Gmail account to your Mac. Voila!

Each of these steps may require a bit of research to know how to do them, but this basic outline will accomplish what you want. Feel free to ask questions if you can't find the details you need elsewhere.
jocko463

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Migrating Windows Live Mail to Apple Mail Reply with quote

Thanks to all who've responded ....I appreciate your help. It seems most of you are long time Mac users with very little current Windows experience; I am just the opposite. I am also cheap enough and, according to my wife, too much of a coot to hand my computer over (along with some money) to someone else. Besides I think your personal learning curve can always be adjusted.

The method I used was found through some frustratingly maddening online research ...and a great book by David Pogue titled "Switching to Mac ...the Snow Leopard Edition". Mr Pogue's tome is one of the latest in his "The Missing Manual" series of books and I highly recommend it to those of you making the change to a Mac. Hopefully this information here will help others like myself who are just now leaving PC hell and just beginning to stretch our legs in the land of Apple.

Apple Mail and Windows Live Mail (WLM), which is the program succeeding Outlook Express (OE), don't understand each other ...you need a translator. In this case the translator comes in the form of Mozilla's Thunderbird 3 e-mail program. T-Bird 3 will, with the push of a single radio button, convert OE into a format Apple Mail can deal with. What you will be doing is using T-Bird 3 as a go between...setting it up and making it your default e-mail on your PC with the ultimate goal of exporting it's files to your shiny-new Apple. If you noticed, T-Bird converts OE (and Outlook and Eudora) but ...for whatever reason ...the Mozilla software developers have not yet conquered the transfer of WLM and so you must undertake the somewhat un-elegant and potentially arduous task of manually swapping your WLM saved e-mail files back to OE. There are some software programs out there written to make the "downgrade" to OE from WLM but most are barely past their beta phase. One free demo I tried for such software refused to run on my XP equipped PC ...their R&D person responding with a "back to the drawing board" response to my quest for help. Feel free to try them ...they run about $20 to $30 or so for a fully licensed version. This might be a good time to do some house cleaning and trash some of your more moldy e-mails and festering folders residing in WLM

The "free"-way to nirvana is simple; drag and drop your WLM saved e-mail, storage folders, drafts, copies of sent mail and whatever else you wish to bring along by using Windows Explorer. Your first duty is simple; reinstate or reinstall OE on your XP or Vista based PC ...I made OE the default mail program also. "Control Panel" and "Adding/Removing Windows Components" is where you'll find OE residing if you've removed it from your desktop. Next, rebuild your saved e-mail file folder structure in OE. Now you need to find where XP or Vista hides your saved e-mail files. Before doing this, you need to make sure you can view hidden folders; in any open folder menu bar select "Tools" --- "Folder Options" …go to the "View" tab and under "Hidden Folders" turn on the "Show hidden files and folders" option. I am dealing with XP so this info won't be good for Vista; you'll need to do an online search for that information ...it's out there and not too hard to find. Here is the rabbit trail for XP using Windows Explorer:

C:\documents & settings\your name\local settings\application data\microsoft\windows live mail\storage folders

"your name" is your XP account name.

Once you get into the WLM area of Windows Explorer you'll see the various other folders you will or might need to transfer …feel free to explore. Get your monitor set up with the open Windows Explorer and OE sitting side by side. Open your first saved e-mail storage folder and drag all the stuff in it to the corresponding folder in OE ...then the next folder and on down the line. I copied my files ...as opposed to moving them ...so I would preserve the originals if something untoward occurred in the process. A drag and drop tip: holding down the control key while clicking on each folder allows you to highlight multiple files and you can then drag the whole gaggle of them over to the appropriate OE folder. Once you get all the saved stuff squared away then check each e-mail account shown in Windows Explorer making sure there are no drafts, sent mail and other things you want to swap. You're probably already thinking; why don't I just drag and drop each folder from WLM to OE? Good question ...try it and see what happens ...then post and let the rest of the folks know how it works. I didn't have that much stuff to swap so it wasn't too hard for me to do the way I did ...and hindsight is always 20/20.

Okay, the nasty stuff is over. Fire up T-Bird 3 and set it up as your default email program …it will ask you to create an account name but you can skip it if you want. From the T-Bird 3 menu bar select: "Tools" --- "Import" ---"Mail" ---"Outlook Express" ---"Next" …and thus begins the import process. You can opt for the "Everything" option(versus just "Mail") but your Windows address book is easily exported in a format Apple Mail's Address book understands. The process may take some time …or not …depends how much stuff you've got. You'll know when the process is complete and you can see your saved e-mail folders …check some archived e-mail and see if it's made the journey unscathed. You're almost there …half-time …good time for some adult beverage of your choice.

We're back … for the second half. The following information was gleaned from my copy of David Pogue's "Switching to the Mac …the missing manual" …again highly recommended reading for newbies to Mac ...and personal experience in having done all that I have written about in this post. The goal here is to make a copy of your stored T-Bird 3 e-mail folders and bring them into your Mac. You will be using Windows Explorer again and you will need to make sure the "Show hidden files and folders" option is selected (it should already be selected). Delve into Windows Explorer and follow this trail:

C:\documents & settings\your name\application data\thunderbird\profiles\your profile name\mail

"your name is your XP account name; "your profile name" is the name you used in setting up T-Bird 3 …if you didn't use a name in the set up process then your folder will have some cryptic name like xy19fwep.default.

For me, the easiest way to move my T-Bird 3 mail folder was to drag and drop it onto a USB thumb drive …I recommend copying versus moving your files onto the thumb drive. Using a thumb drive will also be the vehicle of choice to export your address/contacts from OE over to Apple Address Book. With the thumb drive loaded with your T-Bird 3 "mail" folder plug it into the Mac. Open Mail and select: "File" --- "Import Mailboxes" --- choose Mozilla/Thunderbird ---"Continue" --- click on the mail folder you copied from your PC. In the mail folder will be all the data from the PC ….all will be check marked for import ….anything you don't want you can un-check …click "Continue" and the import process begins. Your storage folders (now called mailboxes in the Mac world) show up on the left side very similar to the OE layout. You can now drag and drop and rearrange as needed your archived e-mails.

I hope this helps some other neophyte Apple owners. Having your programs set with some familiarity ...your archived/saved e-mails and file (mailbox) structure will help make the transition much easier.
bazzlevi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: gmail and IMAP Reply with quote

I daresay my method would be easier than all that, presuming you have a high-speed internet connection for the transfer to and from gmail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: