123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Applications...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimskisbreck13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Applications...? Reply with quote

My friend explained he was purchasing a Mac Mini for use as a media hub in the living room – I was intrigued. However I am struggling to workout the requirement – is it any good? I am not interested in doing any ‘work’ stuff – I use a work laptop, no gaming, only music, home video & movies / TV.

My current plan:
• Mac Mini
• Hooked up to a TV (HDMI)
• Mac Mini will be hard-wired to adjacent Linksys router - high speed internet via cable modem
• Control the Mac Mini via netbook pro from the existing wireless network – is this possible?

If anyone uses their Mac Mini in a similar way and recommends it pls let me know how you use it & what you use it for. Is there an alternative I should be looking at?

Download movies from internet – assume that these are stored on hard drive and functionality is same as DVR? The Cable DVR makes selection of programmes very easy – is the Mac Mini any better? Are there any advantages over a DVR?

What is the best way to download movies? I’ve got lots of DVDs but why would I put them on a hard drive?

Convince me pls… much tks
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run Plex as my media center, its currently installed on my iMac & Macbook Pro but I'll be switching it to a mac mini soon. I mostly watch my media on a second monitor attached to the iMac, but occasionally connect the Macbook Pro to the main TV. The mini will be permanently connected to the TV.

I also have a 4TB NAS drive attached to a Gigabit Ethernet which I use as a media source for Plex. The media on the NAS is organised into two folders, Movies and Tv Shows. Plex scrapes the show data automatically from the Internet and provides a rich user interface. You can also navigate it very easily with just the Apple Remote.

Check out Plex on http://www.plexapp.com

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: