123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor Reply with quote

Ford's new Crown Victoria Police Interceptor is one mean looking police car. Cool

iLife's a Bitch!
gts116

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Taurus SHO cruiser. I LOVE IT!
- iPhone 4 16G (VZW)
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about time. As the article indicates the Crown Vic was getting long in the tooth.

Some days I still kick myself in the butt for getting rid of my 1988 Caprice Police Interceptors. I loved those cars and owed 2 of them for 15+ years. Just like the Crown Vic it too was left behind by advancements. With today's gas prices you want more than 200HP if you are only getting 12 MPG Smile

For those of you who have never driven a police car, I have to say they are so much fun. I have a Camaro with 300+ HP and the police car, while not as cool looking is more fun to drive. The suspension, brakes, steering and above average power, make it a blast. Even though you may pay more for fuel, they are cheap to maintain, they seldom have issues and you can usually purchase they parts easily at any pick it yourself wrecker, overall they are cheap to own and it's hard not to smile while driving one.

The AWD Taurus should be a hit with Canadian officers... hopefully FORD got it right. I've wanted to get a new police car for years and both the Impala and Crown Vic did not appeal to me.

If should be fun to see the new police cars on the road. They do look great with all the decals and the new LED lights.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what Chevy may be offering.
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Some days I still kick myself in the butt for getting rid of my 1988 Caprice Police Interceptors. I loved those cars and owed 2 of them for 15+ years.

I inherited an old Chevy Caprice from my grandparents back when I first started driving. That thing was huge! The front seat was like a park bench. It did have a fair amount of power with the V8 though. I bet the police models were even more powerful.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what police car you are driving.

I had a retired 1989 California Highway Patrol Mustang. That car was awesome! Tragically a tree fell in love with it while I was storing it and, well that was that.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking the Ford better than the Chevy. Is Chevy coming out with a new Caprice for the general market?

I bet that 89 5.0 liter Mustang went like a SOB. Cool
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I'm liking the Ford better than the Chevy. Is Chevy coming out with a new Caprice for the general market?

I think the Ford Taurus looks better as well. That being said the Caprice looks more like the vehicle cops would prefer. More room, more mass. By the time you load the car up with computers and police gear, there isn't much room. These guys are driving around most of the day.
SOCOMRAIDER
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Minnesota could use the AWD Taurus cars. Plenty of times I've had a chuckle or two towards cops just trying to leave the gas station. I could go park, go inside, get drinks and then go outside to see them still spinning wheels.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
More room, more mass. By the time you load the car up with computers and police gear, there isn't much room. These guys are driving around most of the day.

That's why they need Front Row and iTunes up on that screen. Throw some donuts in the mix and you're set! Smile

No doubt that's a touch interface. I wonder what OS is running the background?

I just noticed the assault rifle in the middle of the seats. That's kind of bad ass. Cool
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
More room, more mass. By the time you load the car up with computers and police gear, there isn't much room. These guys are driving around most of the day.

That's why they need Front Row and iTunes up on that screen. Throw some donuts in the mix and you're set! Smile

No doubt that's a touch interface. I wonder what OS is running the background?

I just noticed the assault rifle in the middle of the seats. That's kind of bad ass. Cool

Unless it's FULLY AUTOMATIC (capable of more than one shot per pull of the trigger) it's not an assault rifle, given the fact a full-auto would only be issued to tactical units anymore, big reason being vast difference in legal classification of a full-auto compared to a semi-auto, a normal cop would carry an AR-15.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

I bet that 89 5.0 liter Mustang went like a SOB. Cool

Boy did it! I miss that car more than any other. People would keep telling me that the engine was different, or some other nonsense, but it was close to three hundred pounds lighter from removing a great deal of junk, and it had all the good bits from the convertibles to stiffen the chassis.

Oh, two things were different on the engine. It had the HO alternator, and it had the oil cooler necessitating a shorter oil filter.

Just to note, Subaru has a police version of their Turbo Legacy sedan that is used in the US. Washington State Patrol has them.

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
People would keep telling me that the engine was different, or some other nonsense, but it was close to three hundred pounds lighter from removing a great deal of junk, and it had all the good bits from the convertibles to stiffen the chassis.

Oh, two things were different on the engine. It had the HO alternator, and it had the oil cooler necessitating a shorter oil filter.
SC

This is typical. Believe it are not, they also often remove emission controls. My neighbor (who just retired) has been a mechanic for the RCMP for 30+ years. I've asked him if they make any engine mods and the answer is no.

These are service vehicles, not 1/4 mile racers. The parts that are upgraded from factory are really beefy though. As mentioned... suspension, steering, cooling, electrical, brakes, interior. Police have radios Smile
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I still have a thing for police cars. Very Happy

I just read the LAPD got a new Chevy Caprice that's pretty tricked out. I'm not crazy about the looks, but the technology sounds pretty neat. Watch the video for more info.

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2011-05/video-lapds-new-cruiser-tracks-license-plates-seeks-suspect-footprints-and-keeps-cops-comfy
iLife's a Bitch!

Last edited by g5g5 on Sat May 28, 2011 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm envious of Australian cars!

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: