123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The iMac Is coming today! Yeah!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I read the article. My seller has been around a few years but I will keep checking on this. I will file a dispute in 45 days or less if needed to extend my rights. I will upgrade to a claim in 20 days after that. This gives me 65 days time to know if the purchase is good. If it is a bad sale I will post it on this site. If it is a good one I will also post it.

To get back on point. It is unreal that the external stripe raid drive jumped speed on xbench from 187 to 228. This makes you realize the internal hdd is slow. I have a corsair ssd in an external fw800 case I will run an xbench with it later.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: iMac upgrades and updates. Reply with quote

It is wall mounted. I must say the apple wall mount adapter was a PITA it was off spec and need work to get it to fit. Once it fit it works great.

I added 16gb ram the sticks were a bit harder to pull out but it was pretty easy compared t the mini. My iMac had a spec of dirt under the screen. I had to bring it to the Apple store at the Mall to have the dust removed. No other problems at all. here are xbench scores.

http://db.xbench.com/search.xhtml?text=zzzzz5

most interesting is the external fw800 drives are just as fast as the internal drive.. of real note is the display settings Since this is for tv/dvr I am using 1920 x 1080. this is with my elgato hybrid stick the picture is amazing really good. the recordings are super good.

I have better result with this setting then the 2560 x 1440 setting.. kind makes sense since nbc is broadcasting in 1080i. the iMac does not have to scale to 2560 X 1440.. This picture may be better then my 1080i crt old school hdtv in my basement .

so far I can tell you one thing " big all in one iMacs have a real tv/dvr future" . It is winning the WAF and if that is done Apple has a winner. I can see it now ; a 30 inch and a 32 inch imac around the corner or maybe a 37 or a 40 a few blocks away.

Just think you could fit 2 or 3 2tb hdds in a 40 inch tv and a pair of quad cores.

philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb wrote:
philiparcario wrote:
well I have been testing the iMac. First off i purchased apple care for 69 dollars off an ebay seller.

I hope you took the necessary precautions to protect yourself from the growing AppleCare fraud on Ebay
http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-APPLECARE-APPLE-CARE-A-warning-to-buyers_W0QQugidZ10000000011731235?

Reminds me of the old saying "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is"

I am working on this right now. I am contacting buyers of this item from this seller. About 20 purchases were made in the month of dec 2009. I am asking the buyers one by one to see if they had found the applecare to be cancelled. I started doing this today the 15th of march. I will update on this. Phil

TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
jb wrote:
philiparcario wrote:
well I have been testing the iMac. First off i purchased apple care for 69 dollars off an ebay seller.

I hope you took the necessary precautions to protect yourself from the growing AppleCare fraud on Ebay
http://reviews.ebay.com/FAKE-APPLECARE-APPLE-CARE-A-warning-to-buyers_W0QQugidZ10000000011731235?

I am working on this right now. I am contacting buyers of this item from this seller. About 20 purchases were made in the month of dec 2009. I am asking the buyers one by one to see if they had found the applecare to be cancelled. I started doing this today the 15th of march. I will update on this. Phil

Who is the seller in question? The reason I ask is I just bought Apple care from the seller. coastal_computing. They have been a member since 2000 and have over 5000+ transactions with a feedback of %99.9. It was a very good price for the mini. $43. Let me know if you come across any red flags with this seller in your search.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my seller was mac.forever 600 plus feedbacks 100 percent . over 6 year member. I am waiting on replies from the ebayers that have had the apple care longer then 60 days.

philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I got a reply from one dec 28th buyer of am imac from my seller he has brought the imac in for a fan repair and the applecare was noted at the apple store with no problem. I will keep looking around for this.

tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"After 1-2 months, Apple discovers that the code is invalid, and they revoke the registration - so your warranty is invalid. Additionally, you lose the ability to file a claim with PayPal since it's well beyond the 45 day claim period. So you've just lost hundreds of dollars for nothing"

Is there any proof of truth to this? If the code is invalid Apple tells you when you give them the code, it doesn't take Apple 60 days to discover the code is invalid.

If its showing you have AC here i think your good to go.
https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tales wrote:
"After 1-2 months, Apple discovers that the code is invalid, and they revoke the registration - so your warranty is invalid. Additionally, you lose the ability to file a claim with PayPal since it's well beyond the 45 day claim period. So you've just lost hundreds of dollars for nothing"

Is there any proof of truth to this? If the code is invalid Apple tells you when you give them the code, it doesn't take Apple 60 days to discover the code is invalid.

If its showing you have AC here i think your good to go.
https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

I was thinking about this as well. If Apple sells me Apple Care with code #xxxxxx and I register that code with Apple. I don't see how I could ask for a refund from Apple since they would know that code had been activated. I activated an Apple Care last night and Apple verified it in 10min.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tales wrote:
"

Is there any proof of truth to this? If the code is invalid Apple tells you when you give them the code, it doesn't take Apple 60 days to discover the code is invalid. If its showing you have AC here i think your good to go.

If you'll settle for someone else's bad experience, here's one for you.
check out post #19 at this link...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=852880
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
I was thinking about this as well. If Apple sells me Apple Care with code #xxxxxx and I register that code with Apple. I don't see how I could ask for a refund from Apple since they would know that code had been activated. I activated an Apple Care last night and Apple verified it in 10min.

I believe anyone can cancel their AppleCare coverage, and get a refund for the unused pro-rated balance, same as with most any other insurance policy.
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb wrote:
tales wrote:
"

Is there any proof of truth to this? If the code is invalid Apple tells you when you give them the code, it doesn't take Apple 60 days to discover the code is invalid. If its showing you have AC here i think your good to go.

If you'll settle for someone else's bad experience, here's one for you.
check out post #19 at this link...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=852880

Interesting, he also posted "So, I called Apple and was told that they were presented with the original receipt and had issued a refund to that party. That was all they would tell me"

So the seller is buying all these boxes of AC & selling the codes then returning opened boxes with the Receipt? And apple didn't catch on to this guy? They keep tight records. "That was all they would tell me" Apple should have provided him with some dates, when it was returned for a refund . Who did he present the receipt to a Apple store?

The code is inside the box, the box has a tamper evident seal. Why is Apple giving refunds on a opened security seal for a code? You can't get a refund on a $7 opened CD but Apple is refunding opened boxes of AC that go for $200 + Shocked
When Apple seen the opened box & the code was used it should have sent up red flags before giving a refund.

I can see this working as a scam maybe once. Seems like a lot to go through for a scam!

Then again eBay is a crapshoot.

Post 34: "Any "new" Applecare sold "without the box" is a SCAM, plain and simple." Not true i know this for a fact.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB, Thanks for the Tip!
Phillip, Congrats. I got the 27" iMac. Love It!
But the Speakers do not Impress Me! For Computer Prompts, Yes, for Music, No Way! If your a Music Nut like I am, I think you need External Speakers. I use Yamaha MS-10 Self Powered Studio Monitors but any $100 pair of Speakers will be better than the iMac Speakers.
Just my little Musical Opinion.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple missed the boat with this unit. A sub out cord would have been a great addition to this unit. My main use is tv/dvr Hi pass of the internal speakers at 100hz and a subout line would have made this perfect for my use. Instead the speaker will be bass shy. I have no place to put a speaker setup. It hangs on wall in my kitchen. Oh well.

philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jb wrote:
philiparcario wrote:

As a followup my applecare is still working. About 90 days after purchase. I will post in another 90 days.

Last edited by philiparcario on Mon May 24, 2010 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this thread reminded me to check on mine I bought in March. 60+ days and still rollin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: