123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elgato Intros New EyeTV Hybrid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Elgato Intros New EyeTV Hybrid Reply with quote

Elgato Intros New EyeTV Hybrid
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Posted by: Kenan

Elgato today announced the release of their next-generation EyeTV Hybrid. The new digital and analog TV tuner stick for Mac users features a smaller enclosure with a matte aluminum finish. In fact, it's the smallest hybrid TV tuner stick ever made by the company. The rest of the feature-set has pretty much remained the same, but this time around Elgato also includes support for Windows 7 and Windows Media Center. So, this should be handy for those of you looking to share your EyeTV Hybrid with Windows.

"With EyeTV Hybrid, users can watch and record live television on a Mac or PC. EyeTV Hybrid works with an antenna to receive digital TV that is broadcast over-the-air for free (often in HD), and it receives unscrambled cable TV – both digital and analog. EyeTV Hybrid comes with a video input cable, which enables users to capture SD video from sources like a VCR or cable box."

The new EyeTV Hybrid is available starting today for $149.95.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1461.html
Gator Fan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone see a picture comparing the old model to the new one? I would like to see the size difference.
Harmory & Apple remotes
2 X FreeAgent Desk for Mac drives.
Millian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I was just about to buy a Hybrid from Amazon. I wonder if this means they will further discount the '09 model? I would rather have the older model with the FM tuner anyways. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see any mention of the new model having one.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see the NetStream version in the US:
http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1451.html
Huff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I would like to see the NetStream version in the US:
http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1451.html

I wouldn't mind seeing a version for us either, but at the right price. I certainly wouldn't pay over $200 for one.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it adds to the size of the tuner, but I would rather just have the antenna connector built into the tuner itself. Those little adapters are so easy to lose. They should also bundle a little whip antenna for MacBook owners on the go.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, but it's a shame they dropped the support for FM radio.
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought one from Amazon a couple months ago after my old 250 Plus without QAM gave out on me. I've been enjoying that FM tuner from time to time, so no regrets here.
Tilpots

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if this uses the same chip as the 2009 Hybrid? Can't find any info on their website...
MacAddict

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I missing something ? I was always under the impression that Elgato Eye TV products only worked on OTA HDTV, and yet they now mention that the new Eye TV Hybrid also includes support for Windows 7 and Windows Media Center, but Windows Media Center doesn't work with OTA but only with satellite and cable systems.
Tilpots

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacAddict wrote:
Am I missing something ? I was always under the impression that Elgato Eye TV products only worked on OTA HDTV, and yet they now mention that the new Eye TV Hybrid also includes support for Windows 7 and Windows Media Center, but Windows Media Center doesn't work with OTA but only with satellite and cable systems.

The 2009 Hybrids work with ATSC (OTA), NTSC (Analog Cable), QAM (Unencrypted Digital Cable), and FM Radio.
MacAddict

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The 2009 Hybrids work with ATSC (OTA), NTSC (Analog Cable), QAM (Unencrypted Digital Cable), and FM Radio.

So they're in effect now adding usage with a Windows PC though limited to being connected to Cable TV.[/quote]
geen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: what product works for verizon fios tv on mac mini? Reply with quote

Group,
I have purchased a mac mini and want to use it to watch the same channels that are available on my verizon fios tv service. on my old windows setup, I had a built-in tv tuner card. looking at the specs on this hybrid product, it mentions that it will pull in "unencrypted" digital channels and my little knowledge makes me wonder whether this will leave out most channels I get. I don't have premium service or HD - but do have the usual 300 channels or so that include espn, cnn, etc., which I am guessing are encrypted. I do have an extra digital converter box from verizon (different from settop box), and am thinking that could be hooked up to the appropriate tuner-usb device, but unsure. Thoughts? Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: