123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HDMI Coming to Mac mini?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huff wrote:
I feel like a total jerk for buying the HDMI with audio adapters now. Sad

Why? Because of a rumor? Which may or may not pan out?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Mac mini with HDMI would be nice, but let's not forget the source of this rumor. It was Apple Insider the said the Mac mini was dead a couple years ago. Razz

I wouldn't doubt there are a bunch of Mac mini prototypes floating around at Apple. That doesn't necessarily mean they will ever be released. It could mean there is and interest in HDMI though. I guess that's something to get excited about.
iLife's a Bitch!
mista2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I knew just as I was getting ready to buy that the rumour mill would start to crank up Razz

Damnit! Everytime I think, yes, I'll upgrade my Mini now I keep finding they may finally add all the necessary gear!
I really hope it's true, and if so, that the HDMI can be a second display, not just replace the DIsplay port - and maybe even HDCP - which would herald blueray coming to a Mac near you - about the only reason I can think they havent done BR is the lack of HDCP which is required for protected content. Annoying as my old 2GHz mini plays blueray rips just fine with VLC.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this happens, but won't have an impact on me right now. If they do it then I think they need to start taking the Mini as a more serious media machine and give it the attention to really make it shine. I'm setup, and happy with mine but if they do more then put in a HDMI then I might consider upgrading sooner rather then later. My kids would love to take the mini for one of their machines.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Apple really want a media machine in their lineup then they really should act now and make the Mini what we all want.

Apple TV isn't really working but it does give a cheaper intro for those not willing to pay for the Mini. If they were to add a Mac Mini as a HTPC offering, which was capable of playing BlueRay and running Plex, XMBC or Boxee as well as being useful as a full computer then I'm sure it would fly out of the stores. Imagine if you had such a capable entry level machine useful as a HTPC for windows users who may not even have thought of switching to a mac but who would be interested in a small HTPC system. It may even generate many more switchers to the rest of the Mac range.

My only concern is they leave it too long before realising what the Mini might be able to do for them. the longer they leave it the more likely they are to find that the Cable & Satellite TV companies have introduced their next generation set top boxes which might just be capable of performing similar tasks.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Chuck H

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope Apple does this, but doesn't make me wait two years for the update. They really move slow when it comes to releasing simple little hardware updates.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't seem like enough change to even redo all the numbering, cataloging, etc --whatever Apple has to do to document a new version. all for an hdmi port that adds some minor convenience.
there better be more to any purported upgrade, esp since the Mini was neglected for so long. shoulda been done on one of the 09 upgrades IMO.
Huff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Why? Because of a rumor? Which may or may not pan out?

I really said that wrong. There's nothing wrong with using the HDMI adapters. I just wasted so much time on getting them. I also went from the analog to digital adapters when they came out. I mean, this could have all been overcome with Apple enabling audio over Mini DisplayPort or including HDMI from the beginning. It's just a little frustrating to hear this now. It's great news (if true) for new owners though.
Grover Time

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make it happen Apple! I'm also with Curt on the case. I think it's time Apple did a little something different in this department. Some us are on or second and third Mac minis now. So it almost feels like you're just buying the same machine at this point. Even a simple changing of the top color would do it for me. I just think it would be nice if other people knew I had something new. Laughing
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably a safe assumption it'll be some mini-HDMI format that would require a dongle to be purchased..
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
It's probably a safe assumption it'll be some mini-HDMI format that would require a dongle to be purchased..

LOL that does appear to the the Apple way sometimes doesn't it! Laughing
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just hope the next Mac mini will get another decent GPU. Please, no intel GPU!
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not complex update to be done. the server model shows the way. Just add 3/4 inch to the mini.

make it have 2 hdds
and a blu-ray
hdmi
esata ..
a 2.66 as base
with a 3.06 as top cpu . this is really doable, but what the heck I am having fun with my new imac. now for imacs they have a whole new world of possibilities.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate using adapters and conversion cables. I would rather just have direct connection to standard a HDMI or DVI port. Honestly, I hate Apple's proprietary video connections.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of more interest than fixing the missing HDMI with sound issue, is the possible use of an updated GPU to the 9400, which may prevent the Mac Mini from getting the I3 or I5 processors due to Nividia's dispute with Intel on future architectures. Looks like Apple is going with upgraded GPU even if it means keeping the Core 2 Duo processors in the Mac Mini. Given the alternative of Intel's integrated GPU units, that is probably the least of a bunch of bad alternatives.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: