123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HDMI Coming to Mac mini?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: HDMI Coming to Mac mini? Reply with quote

HDMI Coming to Mac mini?
Monday, March 1, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

AppleInsider reports that Apple is preparing to introduce HDMI connectivity on some of its personal computers this year. And according to their sources, this would include the next Mac mini. In fact, they are claiming that prototype Mac minis sporting an HDMI port, in place of the current Mini-DVI port, have already been spotted making the rounds at Apple.

"More specifically, prototypes of a new Mac mini - Apple's smallest and most affordable system, commonly employed by tech savvy Mac users as an ad-hoc living room media server, has been making the rounds with an HDMI port in place of its legacy DVI connector, according to two people familiar with the matter."

The port sits besides mini DisplayPort connector and marks the first instance of full-featured HDMI connectivity on a Mac. It also represents only the second Apple product to feature the port outside of the company's fledgeling Apple TV streaming media device. Cosmetically, the Mac mini is otherwise said to look identical to existing models, with no other visible changes to its enclosure."

The report also claims that one of the prototypes is using Nvidia's MCP89 chipset, which is the successor to the current MCP79 (or GeForce 9400M) chipset.

"At least one of the Mac mini prototypes described by those privy to the hardware is said to include Nvidia's MCP89 chipset, which is the successor to the existing MCP79 (or GeForce 9400M) chipset found alongside Intel's Core 2 Duo processors across the majority of Apple's existing Mac product line.

However, Intel's ongoing licensing dispute with Nvidia will prevent Apple (and other PC makers) from using the MCP89 supporting chipset alongside its latest generation of Nehalem-based Core i3, i5 and i7 processors. Therefore, this suggests that Apple may continue to rely on existing Core 2 Duo (pre-Nehalem) processors as part of its upcoming Mac mini revision."

We are strictly taking these reports as rumor at this point, but think it's entirely possible. We also happen to think that an HDMI port would be a welcomed addition to the next Mac mini. Wouldn't you agree?

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1456.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:57 am; edited 4 times in total
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope this turns out to be true. Then I'll trade up Mac minis once again for HTPC.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew just as I was getting ready to buy that the rumour mill would start to crank up Razz

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in as well if they upgrade. Well, as long as I can sell my current '09 Mac mini with 4 gigs of RAM and a 500GB hard drive. Any takers at this point? I can get by with my Zino HD until then. Smile
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing...

I think Apple should change up the case as well. A black or dark gray top would go along much better with my entertainment center. Smile
Huff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like a total jerk for buying the HDMI with audio adapters now. Sad

I think it would be a totally smart move for Apple though. They probably should have done this when the latest Mac minis came out. The Mini DVI port never really made sense to me. I just think they were just trying to project the Apple TV, which turned out to be a total loser for them. Maybe they finally see the light now. Now, how about an improved Front Row?
usarcher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also in the post was about Apple having their own mini displayport to hdmi adapter which also carried sound. What would be interesting is if it is ever released if current Macs could use that adapter as a single cable solution.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this happens.

It should have happened long, long ago.
Hopefully Apple upgrades to USB 3.0 at the same time.
usarcher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I hope this happens.

It should have happened long, long ago.
Hopefully Apple upgrades to USB 3.0 at the same time.

Hold your horses Bandit, one port at a time Wink

It would be nice though.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usarcher wrote:
Also in the post was about Apple having their own mini displayport to hdmi adapter which also carried sound. What would be interesting is if it is ever released if current Macs could use that adapter as a single cable solution.

I would rather have a dedicated HDMI port, but that's all we really need. Just update the spec or whatever and let's roll! Most of the adapters out there already support audio through the Mini-DisplayPort.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
epic_ed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this means that Steve is getting into a new hobby with XBMC or Boxee, because support for Blu-ray, USB 3.0 and HDMI would rock. It would get me off the couch for a second to buy another one. Razz
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interresting..

Another way to jack-up the mac mini's price tag..

Issue..

Most monitors that support hdmi cost 3 times as much as a dvi monitor so watch the doller signs roll.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macmanmacman wrote:
Interresting..

Another way to jack-up the mac mini's price tag..

Issue..

Most monitors that support hdmi cost 3 times as much as a dvi monitor so watch the doller signs roll.

Even my little brain can see that isn't happening. It's not like they are getting rid of the Mini-DP port either. All they need to do is throw a Mini-DP to DVI or HDMI to DVI adpater in the box. It will almost be like it never happened. Rolling Eyes
usarcher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazer wrote:
usarcher wrote:

I would rather have a dedicated HDMI port, but that's all we really need. Just update the spec or whatever and let's roll! Most of the adapters out there already support audio through the Mini-DisplayPort.

Completely agree, I was just thinking of all the minis and other macs already out there which don't have HDMI.
Capiche

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think they should start including an HDMI port on the Mac mini. I ended up having to buy the HDMI adapter from Monoprice with digital audio. It works fine and all, but it cost me another $50 dollars out of the pocket. So this would have saved me money and all the troubles of waiting for a third-party adapter. Did I mention the adapters were backordered there for a while? Sad

Last edited by Capiche on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: