123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

questions about ipods, disk mode, replacement for ipod video

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aljosah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: questions about ipods, disk mode, replacement for ipod video Reply with quote

Hello,

I am a proud owner of a 4 years old iPod video 5G. It's really been working flawlessly, but in the past 4 years, numerous new models arrived and I am considering buying a new one and give my current one to my girlfriend.

My friend has a iPod touch and computers just can't recognize it as a disk. As I use 50% of my iPod space for moving files and approx. 15 GB for music (I delete music that I don't listen to from time to time).

Which current iPod models can be mounted as disks? Touch is a VERY VERY nice machine, but I just couldn't get along without a disk mode. Portable disks are not an option, as I then have to have two devices in my pocket all the time... Is apple planning to make a 32GB nano, or maybe even a 64GB one? Is nano capable of connecting into disk mode?

Some 3rd party apps for making an iPod a disk, just aren't an option, as I am transferring files from computers, that don't have these apps and I don't know the administrators...

Please, share some opinion, as I am not sure, what I will do, when my 5th gen video fails... Just one thing, 30 GB showed as enough capacity for me, so I am not planning on buying a classic, which still has a HDD, as that is a major drawback for me. I want something with flash memory.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disk use has been disabled on the iPhone and iPod Touch. To my best of my knowledge, a third party application is the only option. Here is a related article.

http://www.macworld.com/article/139659/2009/04/ipod_portable_storage.html
aljosah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does nano have disk mode?
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that any iPod has disk mode any more. It appears to have been done to combat piracy. In other words, you can load music etc. from iTunes to the iPod but, not in the reverse.
aljosah

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know that, but that doesn't bother me. I am just asking, if I can load any files separately onto iPod? When I plug my iPod into a MAC or PC, I can load the music via iTunes and transfer files on and off (NOT music), like it would be a external drive. I know, that touch doesn't have this, so I am wondering, if nano has?
When will the new ipods be released? Macrumors says, that they're right between the cycles... Rolling Eyes
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this story on Lifehacker and remembered your post.

http://lifehacker.com/5469718/iphone-explorer-turns-your-iphone-or-ipod-touch-into-a-disk-drive
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem!!

If you dont know what you are doing with the iphone explorer application and the ipod touch version you could end up with a dead ipod..

My recommendation.

Get a ipod classic

or a ipod nano

both support disk mode and the price tag on the classic being so low now thanks to the ipod touch and iphone it gives you a lot more storage.

Also if you want to save some money go to your local pawn shop and look for a ipod my freind got a ipod photo 30 gig for only 40.00.
aljosah

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have an ipod, just want a newer flash-based version
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPods All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: