123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LaCie Intros d2 Network 2 NAS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: LaCie Intros d2 Network 2 NAS Reply with quote

LaCie Intros d2 Network 2 NAS
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

LaCie has announced the release of the LaCie d2 Network 2. This new network-attached storage solution features a faster processor than its predecessor for enhanced performance and data transfer, Gigabit Ethernet, and a new widget-based user interface (shown below) for administration. It also comes with USB 2.0 and eSATA ports for expansion, and Intego Backup Manager Pro for Mac software for backing up your data. The LaCie d2 Network 2 is available in capacities of 1TB, 1.5TB and 2TB, with prices starting at $230.

LaCie also introduced new 2big and 5big network-attached storage solutions if you're interested in more redundancy and storage.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1450.html
jdryyz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was due to the first generation's slow processor that I was warned to steer clear of it. So can we rely on the specs alone to tell if this new model will offer better performance?

My simple belief is that if a NAS device boasts Gigabit Ethernet, then it should be able to transfer data consistent with that adapter and nothing less. Something I was told the first model did not do.

I guess we will know once the reviews come in.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ jdryyz

I would consider buying a MediaSmart server from HP. You are getting way more expansion for like another $200 dollars. I've even seen refurbs around for less for less than that difference.
jdryyz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion but another $200 will blow my budget (even the refurb price) and expansion is not a concern for me. The 1TB offered with the LaCie will be more than enough. I'm mainly concerned about data throughput and power management.

Oh, and Mac compatibility (for the file system) goes without saying. Smile I do not think the HP device offers that.

Ben_Tex wrote:
@ jdryyz

I would consider buying a MediaSmart server from HP. You are getting way more expansion for like another $200 dollars. I've even seen refurbs around for less for less than that difference.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Thank you!!!!

$200.00

When i can build my own for only $150.00.

on top of that it is another Lacie product to many problems have been posted at to many sites about Lacie products no thank you i just don't want to deal with a product that might burnout fry or not function.

And at 200.00 talk about a loss if anything goes wrong...
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdryyz wrote:
Oh, and Mac compatibility (for the file system) goes without saying. Smile I do not think the HP device offers that.

Not the file system, but the control center and everything else for the Mac rocks. I've been a happy camper with one for the past six months or so.

Good luck with the LaCie though. I wasn't trying to talk it down. I just happen to think the MediaSmart servers are an excellent alternative for a mixed environment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: