123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Elgato Unveils EyeTV Netstream DTT Tuner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Elgato Unveils EyeTV Netstream DTT Tuner Reply with quote

Elgato Unveils EyeTV Netstream DTT Tuner
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

Elgato has announced the release of the EyeTV Netstream DTT, a new network-attached dual TV tuner for DVB-T. The device streams digital television (DVB-T/Freeview) to all the Macs or PCs on your home network. It also enables two people to watch and record different TV shows at the same time. The dual tuner also has built-in support for Bonjour and UPnP, and comes bundled with EyeTV 3 and TerraTec Home Cinema software for Windows. The EyeTV Netstream DTT is available now and priced at €249.95. No word on a similar tuner for this side of the pond though.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1451.html
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That picture of a dude sitting on the floor in front of his iMac home theater on a cart makes me laugh. Just buy a Mac mini and a real TV man. Laughing

It sounds like a nice tuner though.
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimensions: 23 × 119 × 119 mm

Too bad it's not 23 x 165 x 165 mm, you could have used Mac mini mounts for it. Wink
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
YesHD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sexier than the HDHomeRun, but it sure is more expensive. My currency converter has it down for like over $330 smackers.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
That picture of a dude sitting on the floor in front of his iMac home theater on a cart makes me laugh. Just buy a Mac mini and a real TV man. Laughing

That is very funny. Laughing
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An ATSC version of this tuner with ClearQAM would be sweet. Well, that and Elgato getting around to releasing EyeTV 4.0.

+2 on the iMac pic. Laughing
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use Windows that much anymore, but I'm glad that Elgato seems more interested supporting it now. It's strange that all the information seems to be on the international site though. Take the Hybrid for example. They talk about support for Windows and THC, but there isn't even a mention on the site for North America. The only tuner on our site that mentions support is the new EyeTV One.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
It's strange that all the information seems to be on the international site though. Take the Hybrid for example. They talk about support for Windows and THC, but there isn't even a mention on the site for North America. The only tuner on our site that mentions support is the new EyeTV One.

Statistically, Europeans have more leisure time than Americans, so that might explain the focus towards the other side of the pond (not saying that's a bad thing Wink ) ...so they may have more time to watch TV, explaining why.

Anyways, this seems like a really cool product, I just hope they go a bit easy on the dollar conversion if it ever gets released in the US.
YesHD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
Anyways, this seems like a really cool product, I just hope they go a bit easy on the dollar conversion if it ever gets released in the US.

Elgato doesn't seem to have a problem charging a premium for their tuners now, but I cannot see this tuner selling well at those levels. I totally agree.
DVDwizard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
It's strange that all the information seems to be on the international site though. Take the Hybrid for example. They talk about support for Windows and THC, but there isn't even a mention on the site for North America. The only tuner on our site that mentions support is the new EyeTV One.

The EyeTV One is currently our only North American tuner which works with Windows. There are big differences between the way tuners work in Europe and NA, so adding Windows support is on different time lines in each region. In addition, some products which have the same names in different parts of the world are actually quite different 'under the hood'.

Mike Evangelist
EyeTV evangelist
Elgato
jonny7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in England and bought one of these as soon as I could. I'm a big fan of eyeTV but had to put in a load of wiring for the aerial connection to each mac mini (I've got 5 - I'm not showing off, I just love them). So to that end, the hard work has already been done and not required for this. I just had to try one though as my movies are centralised from my mac pro via plex, so why not my TV. Well of course it doesn't quite work like that as each computer can record locally but I have them set to send as apple TV files to the mac pro - I could do that anyway but one tuner box means one point of control for reception.
The downside is that it is SO expensive to buy and you can only access it on two computers at a time. There is however an interesting feature where you can 'grab' a tuner for another (3rd) computer which is fine if you live alone but a nightmare if you have kids for example.
On the other hand, it is really simple to set up and my goodness it works a treat. I've done the walking around the house with a macbook pro showing live TV with no cables attached to it, you sort of have to do that just because you can. If it cost £100 (which is about $150?) then I'd buy another one but it's more than double that so that isn't going to happen. Shame as it does indeed, just work.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVDwizard wrote:
The EyeTV One is currently our only North American tuner which works with Windows. There are big differences between the way tuners work in Europe and NA, so adding Windows support is on different time lines in each region. In addition, some products which have the same names in different parts of the world are actually quite different 'under the hood'.

I realize there is a difference under the hood, but I still believe that support could be achieved. I do like the trend of all the new tuners supporting Windows out-of-the-box though. It just makes everything easier instead of having to knock around for drivers.

Any word on EyeTV 4? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: