123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XP v W7: OS RAM-use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalManiac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: XP v W7: OS RAM-use Reply with quote

OS-wise, does XP 64-bit use less RAM than Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit? W7 does have an awful lot of bells and whistles compared to XP.

I want to do some light gaming (Sims 3, Vice City) in Bootcamp on my Mini. Of course with a 3.75GB ceiling I need the OS to eat up as little RAM as possible.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 7 is like Vista; a resource hog. If small is the answer, go with XP. It requires 1/3 the disk space of Windows 7 installations.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at this before and after installing Windows 7 64-bit. Windows 7 is like double at 930MB after startup, which really isn't that bad when you compare it with Snow Leopard. It's slightly over 1GB with a clean start.
MetalManiac

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they run the same 9400m driver?
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: XP v W7: OS RAM-use Reply with quote

MetalManiac wrote:
OS-wise, does XP 64-bit use less RAM than Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit? W7 does have an awful lot of bells and whistles compared to XP.

I want to do some light gaming (Sims 3, Vice City) in Bootcamp on my Mini. Of course with a 3.75GB ceiling I need the OS to eat up as little RAM as possible.

It follows to reason that XP will be lighter than W7.

Any reason why your using 64 bit ?

If you want an OS for gaming only...then consider downsizing your XP install with Nlite...

http://www.nliteos.com/

Or alternately, run a copy of MicroXP (32-bit) which is a very trim version of XP : Less than 100MB.

Strictly speaking, it's a PE build.

PM me for the link.

Burn the ISO to disk & install.

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
MetalManiac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: XP v W7: OS RAM-use Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:

Any reason why your using 64 bit ?

XP 32-bit doesn't see all of my RAM.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

32bit XP doesn't see all 4GB your physical ram ?

You might like to try this..

Creating a Ramdisk.

Step 1

Download Gavotte's RAMdisk. It's a freeware that can use that unseen RAM.

http://www.easy-share.com/1907118935/Gavot...5_200811130.zip

Step 2

Unzip the folder and double-click "ram4g.reg" file. You need this Registry before doing anything else.

Step 3

Go to C:\ and open your boot.ini with Notepad.

You will see.

CODE[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Add /pae at the end of the line:

like so...

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /pae

If you aren't seeing any file with this name, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options. After the new window appears select the View tab. Here you need to put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.

Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders. Remove the checkmark from the checkboxs labeled Hide file extensions for known file types and Hide protected operating system files.

Now, press the Apply button and then the OK button.

Step 4

Reboot your system.

Now, at your System Properties you can see "Physical Address Extension" under system's specs. You can run now "ramdisk.exe" inside the RAMdisk folder.

Now Install your RAMdisk... Check "Fixed Media" and type your wasted RAM, apply and check ok.

Reboot again. If you enabled your PAE before install RAMdisk and set the right amount of RAM, it will appear as RamDisk-PAE. If not, redo the steps from 2 and try to adress less memory on the RAMdisk's installation.

Step 5

You can ask me "Ok, I've done every thing. Now, what can I do with this thing?!". Simple. You can use it to your browser cache for example, or do what I do... use it for my system's virtual memory.

To do that open My Computer, right click and select System Properties, go to Advanced tab, under Performance click on Settings button. Here click on Advanced again, and go to Virtual Memory. Here select your RAMdisk, write the amount and click in "set".

Just remember.

Any data stored on RAMdisk disappears upon restart. It's not a good idea try to use it like a normal partition...

Cheers

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: