123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long Wait For iPad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Long Wait For iPad Reply with quote

No iPad For Me On Release Day
There are no Apple stores in my small town. We do however have an Apple retail outlet. I called them and asked if they would have any iPads available on the release date. They said no. Apple only releases new things to their own stores on the release days. Usually Apple retail outlets only get the products thirty to sixty days later.

To add to that, Apple only sends out their low end models of new things to their retail outlets at first. Later they send the higher end versions. So that means that when the iPads do reach my city they will only have the 16 Gb WiFi models and not the 3G versions.

At this time that is the one that interests me the most. That could change in time. Still, I'll need to wait one to two extra months to even get to hold one. It seems important to me to be able to experience one firsthand before making the purchase.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Long Wait For iPad Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
I'll need to wait one to two extra months to even get to hold one. It seems important to me to be able to experience one firsthand before making the purchase.

Well... being you sound uncertain as to whether or not you even want one then it shouldn't be too painful Smile

Why not order the one you think you want from Apple and not open it until you try one? Would that work? I don't think Apple charges for return shipping or any other changes if it's not opened. I could be wrong, but I know I ordered a refurb iMac and sent it back unopened without charge.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just wait to try it, and see if you want it?

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m still mad that apple didn't put a display port IN on the iPad. What a great portable monitor it could be for the Mac Mini. I wonder if they can design a dongle mini display port IN for it using the connector bus?
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Long Wait For iPad Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Why not order the one you think you want from Apple and not open it until you try one? Would that work?

That is an interesting strategy but I think the time factor would be the problem. If I bought the more expensive model from Apple and kept it in the box until I got to try the basic one at the local store I might save some time, if I decided I liked it. I might have to keep the sealed box beyond the return date if it was ordered right away.

The way it was explained to me is only the basic ones will be available locally at first. They will probably arrive at the same time that Apple releases the 3G models. I think that ordering one from Apple and getting it before the local shop has one will not be beneficial to me. Since I'm interested in the basic model I would not benefit from ordering one from Apple and keeping it in a sealed box until I got to try a basic one locally.

Of course if I bought the 64 GB model from Apple and kept it in the box until I tried the basic one, that would save me some time in getting one. It is important to me to shop locally whenever it is possible. So I'd rather support a local business than buying directly from Apple. The price would be the same with no waiting for shipping.

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Interesting Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
I"m still mad that apple didn't put a display port IN on the iPad. What a great portable monitor it could be for the Mac Mini. I wonder if they can design a dongle mini display port IN for it using the connector bus?

I wonder how many other people thought about that? How many people really transport their Mini that often? I know there are companies that make transport cases for the Mini so that market does exist.

Is it even possible to create such a thing using a USB cable? If video and audio can be transferred via USB cables and commands can be transferred to other computers via USB cables, couldn't a program be created to allow the iPad to be used as a video screen for a Mini? I have no idea what it would take to create such a capability.

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> iPhone, iPod touch and iPad All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: