123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anticipating the ApTel Line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> More News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Anticipating the ApTel Line Reply with quote

Anticipating the ApTel Line
"Starting with the Mac Mini we will see improved graphics performance which will be exploited in the Mac OS updated designed to run against Windows Vista. In fact expect the user interface to be substantially pumped to reflect both the improved system and graphics performance in the new platform.

I'm still expecting this product to become the Mac version of the digital hub and that it will be connected to Intel's Viiv initiative to produce the closest thing to an iPod-like Media Center product. With Intel's help Apple will probably have cable card support, and there is a chance it could be bi-directional which would put it ahead of Microsoft's Media Center offering. Skin options are likely -- we will probably tie this to an Xbox influence but it will allow for customization. For an idea of finishes wonder over to Dow's Inclosia site."

http://www.macnewsworld.com/story/nrXVZju5pNN0GM/Anticipating-the-ApTel-Line.xhtml
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skin options? This guy seems to be reaching, but that might be cool idea.
kuro

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

I think it is very possible for the consumer line. Apple is smart. Mobile (cell) 'phone covers are a huge market with very good profits. Sooner or later one of the big desktop or laptop manufacturers is going to try and create a similar market for their products, my money is on Apple.

[Edit:] Also, it solves the problem of what to do if a case gets scratched, chipped, dented or discoloured over time.
picaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:

I'd settle for GUI consistency across the OS and applications--Apple hasn't even gotten that right yet. Get that fixed, and then you can start talking to me about expanding into skins.

Wink

Jamie
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuro wrote:

I think it is very possible for the consumer line. Apple is smart. Mobile (cell) 'phone covers are a huge market with very good profits. Sooner or later one of the big desktop or laptop manufacturers is going to try and create a similar market for their products, my money is on Apple.

[Edit:] Also, it solves the problem of what to do if a case gets scratched, chipped, dented or discoloured over time.

I agree with you on the protection aspects of skins, but I doubt Apple will ever make faceplates for the Mac mini. I think Apple is moving away from offering colored products. The iPod mini may have been the final nail in the coffin. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple released the next iMac in black since the new black 5G iPod and nano are outselling their white counterparts. Mactallic already makes faceplates for the iMac G5. It would be easy for Apple to make a similar product for the iMac. So why haven't they? I think they would sell tons and tons of them.

picaman wrote:
I'd settle for GUI consistency across the OS and applications--Apple hasn't even gotten that right yet. Get that fixed, and then you can start talking to me about expanding into skins.

You know it. It looks like they can't decide on keeping the brushed metal look or going with the new Mail 2 look. They already brought the Mail look to iTunes. I like the brushed metal look better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> More News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: