123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Trim automatic in Linux with an SSD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Is Trim automatic in Linux with an SSD? Reply with quote

Here's a technical question. I recently installed an OCZ SSD in my netbook, which I use to run Ubuntu Netbook Remix(UNR) 9.10. The most recent version of the firmware, which was installed on my SSD, provides Trim support. So does the Linux kernel in UNR 9.10. My question is whether the SSD will automatically "clean" itself of erased blocks under my system, or whether I need to periodically run a program to clean these out?
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've kind of half been following this, but I'm no expert. Its my understanding that TRIM support is in the kernel ( since 2.6.28 ) but that the only file system which supports it is ext4.

TRIM requires FS support. Its the FS that deletes files and frees blocks, so only it can tell the drive that blocks are "free" and allow TRIM to work its magic.

I think 9.10 uses ext4 as the default FS for fresh installs. I.e. it won't change the FS on upgrading. So if you did a fresh install of 9.10, you should have ext4 and ability to take advantage of TRIM. I don't know how you take advantage of TRIM. This thread may help.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Chris..S. I posted a similar query on an OCZ forum. I now know that TRIM is not automatic, and won't be in Ubuntu until version 10.10. I am using ext4 partitions, and there is a program I can run periodically on Linux to invoke TRIM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: