123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joining the Mac Community

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Signal2Noise

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:09 pm    Post subject: Joining the Mac Community Reply with quote

Greetings!

I decided to take the plunge into the world of Mac. Mainly I needed one so I could support friends and family with their Mac computers since they usually come to me for hardware/software support. I'm good on the Windows side of it and build my own desktops but am a complete noob to the Mac OS. Also I plan to teach myself the iPhone OS and learn how to make apps since I'm in love with my new iPhone I got as an xmas gift.

So I ordered up a 2.53GHz Mini with a few peripherals (wireless keyboard, magic mouse, remote) thru the Apple Store and just received the final item a couple of days ago. I decided on the Mini since I still could not justify the cost of a Macbook Pro and dislike the all-in-one solution of the iMac. I haven't set it up yet as I'm still debating which monitor(s) to hook up to it, either a 24" lcd or one/two 22" that I have kicking around.

I bought iWorks and Mac Office as well but that's about it. Do I need anything else? Antivirus, security, or anything? I will use the Mac for all my email and some on-line gaming. I still have a Windows-based gaming rig for major gaming and CAD/CGI stuff.

Sorry for the wall of text but I'm excited and looking forward to this new adventure! Smile
mooblie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the world of Macs. You really won't need any anti-virus or security software, but I guess it might take you some time to get used to (and really believe) that fact, if you're used to the Windows world.

BTW: I use a standard two-button, clickable scroll-wheel, USB mouse (a Dell one actually) - works right out of the box with OSX. I never could get on with Apple's mighty mouse. But YMMV!

(Oh, and just hook up your display(s) and get on... you can always change things later...)

If you're into hardware, you could always upgrade the memory/HD yourself. NOBODY buys such upgrades from Apple (too expensive). The mini's innards are a great introduction to Apple's hardware design philosophy.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new mini.

I've had my Mac 3 years and although it seemed strange at first I still don't use any antivirus software, and boy does it make using a Mac much more pleasurable than using windows. I dread the day when we need to start using it Sad

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Signal2Noise

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome and the replies. I guess I'll be saving a bit of chump change in the AV department then. It will feel strange and disconcerting for a bit I'm sure. Very Happy
Voyager

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Signal2Noise - I'm just a few steps ahead of you. Been a computer user since the late 80's, I can remember using GEM on DOS and the arguments when Apple copied the interface.... Also I was quite proficient in Windows 2 and recall being being excited by the introduction of 3.1.

Anyhow I bought a mini because I wanted a quiet desktop and to use as much of my current kit as possible. It arrived on Friday and I'm up and running with very few issues at all. Have to recommend it as a really easy experience so far - but does anyone know how to import megabytes of archived mail from a Windows Eudora backup to Thunderbird 3 on this Mac? Wink
aljosah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the switch about 3 weeks ago, and haven't regretted since... I worked with macs for roughly 2 years before I purchased my own MAC at home. Of course it's mini. I upgraded RAM and disk, so my specs are 2.26 GHz, 4 GB RAM and 500 GB Seagate Momentus 7200 rpm hard drive.

I must say, that both upgrades made a substantial improvement, not only in handling with large data files or photoshop, but also in ordinary day-to-day system usage. I mainly use home computer for listening to music, watching HD movies and surfing the internet. I also do some programming and use Mathematica and a software called Plot for laboratory data analysis and graph plotting. These are all running smoothly and prove no match for my mini.

And most of all, it's being so quiet and energy-efficient, that it's running almost all the time.

One thing that bothers me very very much is the line-in port. I just figured the day before yesterday, I can't even talk to my friends on Skype... Well, thanks Apple. PCs had a mic in port YEARS ago. It's a stupid excuse, that a lot of people use MACs for professional audio, as they could have built-in a switch for line-in/mic-in.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there S2N, congrats on your new Mac and welcome to the forum. Smile

Voyager wrote:
...but does anyone know how to import megabytes of archived mail from a Windows Eudora backup to Thunderbird 3 on this Mac? Wink

There's plenty to look thru here, Voyager...
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=eudora+to+thunderbird

aljosah wrote:
One thing that bothers me very very much is the line-in port. I just figured the day before yesterday, I can't even talk to my friends on Skype...

Yes, it is a pain aljosah. The gadget that you need is the Griffin iMic.
aljosah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, I realized that yes, but it's another 50$ or so and I just can't justify the expense right now... Oh well, some things just aren't meant to be... Rolling Eyes
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aljosah wrote:
Oh well, some things just aren't meant to be... Rolling Eyes

Well, there are alternatives to the iMic...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/U08-CARD-AUDIO-USB-MIC-AS-APPLE-IMIC-MACMINI-MACBOOK_W0QQitemZ260552393925
eaglej79

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: New User! Reply with quote

Hello Everyone!

My name is Justin and I am new Macmini user switching from PC. I am so excited to have a Mac. I have heard and seen nothing but great things about them. I am looking forward to getting a 17" Macbook Pro next along with the new Ipad when it comes out later next month. I am fast becoming a huge fan of Apple and I am really looking forward to seeing what's next.

Thanks,
Justin Very Happy
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the clubhouse, Justin! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: