123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microsoft Intros Office for Mac 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
castaway wrote:
I don't necessarily mind the look of the ribbon interface. It just takes up far too much space on the screen.

While trying to find out what the ribbon interface was, I stumbled upon this tip for making it disappear...
http://www.pringle.net.nz/blog/PermaLink,guid,a48778e4-df6e-4a72-bd4e-4aca212d0e8d.aspx

Its still not the tradition Office layout though with File Edit etc... so you still have to re learn where everything has moved to.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Its still not the tradition Office layout though with File Edit etc... so you still have to re learn where everything has moved to.

Oh, I see. I'm really out of touch on these matters. I use Word and Excel 2003 on the PC at work. But on the Mini I have at home, there isn't a single Microsoft app. Cool
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on MacBU after the delays in getting Office 2008 out on the market. That native iWork came out first, then we got Numbers, and I just never looked back. iWork basically offers everything I need at a more reasonable price. I also appreciate the clean and snappy interface.
jlc1978

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
JohnnyBoy wrote:
castaway wrote:
I don't necessarily mind the look of the ribbon interface. It just takes up far too much space on the screen.

While trying to find out what the ribbon interface was, I stumbled upon this tip for making it disappear...
http://www.pringle.net.nz/blog/PermaLink,guid,a48778e4-df6e-4a72-bd4e-4aca212d0e8d.aspx

True. I hope the ribbon mirros teh Windows version - it's a real pain moving between the Mac and Windows versiosn since nothing is ever in the "right" place.
jguther

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can bring out as many updates as they wish, I'm not spending any more money on this piece of c***. It has become an ugly and buggy productivity killer. Time to pull the plug.

The only advantage that MS Office had, IMO, was that everybody was familiar with the menus. (Such as Edit --> Copy or File --> Save)

How stupid must one be to completely change the interface and thus remove the only "feature" that gave it a competitive advantage?
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jguther wrote:
The only advantage that MS Office had, IMO, was that everybody was familiar with the menus. (Such as Edit --> Copy or File --> Save)

How stupid must one be to completely change the interface and thus remove the only "feature" that gave it a competitive advantage?

Good point. This means that the clones (like OpenOffice and NeoOffice) are the ones left with the competitive advantage.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Microsoft Intros Office for Mac 2011 Reply with quote

admin wrote:
The new software features co-authoring tools and Office Web Apps so you can work together more effectively with your colleagues and friends...

Uhhhh... I thought that all you needed to access web apps was a browser. Not a £400 office suite.
strawbale

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since switching to OSX, I've kept my Windows2000 laptop to run Word for drawing purposes (simple 2D stuff). I know it's not designed for that but I just got used to draw on a 1 mm background grid as if I were drawing by pencil on 1 mm grid paper. I've tried doing the same in OpenOffice, but the drawing facility there is much more ackward and plainly tiresome. Does anyone have experience with the drawing facility in Office/Word 2008 for Mac, assuming that in the 2011 version it'll work similarly (or better)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: