123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMac Late 2009 Screen Problems: Yellow Tinge, Screen Flicker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tales, Quite a Story! So Apple finally fixed it for Free even though your Apple Care ran out. And then they upgraded your 24" to a 27" ? Nice! Yes, I'm definitely getting Apple Care on this. Is EBay safe to buy AC? Can I buy it before my Year is up? BTW, my Rep is sending me new Warranty info in the Mail. My new Warranty on this iMac starts Feb 10th. So I gained 2 months on Warranty. Thanks for the info.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Applecare for my my Macbook Pro on E-Bay just before my original warranty ran out. Saved me a small fortune and it all worked without a hitch. The E-bay seller e-mailed me with the applecare code very quickly and I registered it straight away.

Its definitely worth shopping around on ebay but you just have to make sure you buy from someone with a good sales history.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No my 20" iMac HD died, AASP said they could get the data off it. They erased all my classic rock concerts from my LaCie minis HD & it wasn't our info. They lost our drive!

Apple was upset & replaced the 250GB HD with a 320GB HD & installed it for free.

My wife is a graphic designer & We needed another Mac (could not wait 3 weeks for them to fix the iMac) so we bought the 24" three in a row went bad, & you have to wait until Apple checks them to save a fee. And that means make an appointment.
Customer Relations called the 5th Ave store & no questions asked they were waiting for me & replaced them, until the 27" came out then i ended up with that.

My G4 Cube, G4 mini, core duo mini, 20" iMac, 27" iMac & ipod touch all of the AppleCare was bought off eBay never had a problem. saved hundreds of dollars.

The thing about waiting near the end of the year doesn't extent the warranty It does make you unable to use the phone support after 90 days for computers.

I find most of my problems were resolved over the phone, so adding AC before the 90 day free phone support ends is a good idea.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That phone support before 90 days is some good advice. You are right. I can't believe the AASP lost your Hard Drive & your Data! That's the worst. No wonder why Apple upgraded the drive & installed it for free. This is why I never take my Macs to the AASP in my area. The guy once told me Western Digital MyBooks are the worst Hard Drives ever made. I did & do not agree! He blamed my entire iTunes problem on the MyBook, which is still running perfectly, 3 years later. Thanks for the good advice!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the was any Apple stores you had no choice AASP were the only gigs in town.

I never had a problem with:
Digital Society http://www.digsoc.com/about
Or
Tekserve http://www.tekserve.com/

This is what its like dealing with The Mac Support Store. At least Apple gave them some $hit, and got me a new HD Very Happy

Take your Mac to Manhattan instead!
by nycseattle at Citysearch

Terrible experience. Needed hard drive recovery and replacement and wanted to support Brooklyn business (also cheaper than Tek Serve). Didnt recover most of my files, lost email, bookmarks, documents. couldnt get email and other applications to work well, spent 2 hours in the store, hours at home and on phone with APple to get back up. will never get those hours back or sadly any of those files.

They didnt know what they were doing and are far below the standards for customer service which we expect with Macs.

If you need something not done by Apple itself, go to Tek Serve. Do NOT come here.

Pros: in brooklyn
Cons: incompetent, dont do the job

I Can't Believe They're Still in Business
Joanne C.
i was truly thinking about convenience when I decided to take my Mac Powerbook to the Mac Support store. Well, after a month of not fixing my computer, taking out all of my programs and leaving me with the same problem I went in with, I am $1000 poorer. Yes, I am computerless and poor. I called Apple today and they are going to investigate. Apple seemed very concerned and assured me they will call them tomorrow. I am faxing them all of my receipts.

I am so mad at myself, I didn't see these reviews until after I brought in my computer, I was praying I wouldn't be one of these people totally ripped off. Well, I guess I am and I await to see if I'll ever have a working computer again.

If you like your money, avoid at all costs.Go to Manhattan, DO NOT GO TO THIS STORE!!!

Lola B.
It's almost foolish to write a review of this place because it's not so much a service issue as it is blatant incompetence.

I brought in a Mac Pro that was having trouble with the RAID Card. After a couple of days dealing with disgruntled employees who for some reason found the responsibility of explaining the problem and solution to me beyond their comfort level, I agreed to have them do the repair they suggested. The statement I got was that I was not able to replace the RAID Card myself without voiding the warranty of the whole machine....

When I got the machine back, and found that the same malfunction was occurring I called Apple. They said in no way would my own replacing of the card void the warranty and made an appointment at their soho store for me.

When the Soho store looked at the work the Mac Support store had done....They found that not only was the RAID Card installed but left unconnected, but they obviously damaged the part in the process and then tried to tape it back together again.

There was actually the part in my computer that they had installed wrapped in Scotch tape!

So, as much as a Mac store in this part of Brooklyn would be nice and I wish it worked out, odds of proper repair seem less favorable than just playing slot machines or 3 card monty.

Enter at your own risk.

Take you Mac somewhere else
Teresa A.
I was experiencing some problems with my MacBook and I took it to the Mac Support Store because it was local and I didn't want to schlepp all the way to Manhattan or Staten Island. I was wrong. First of all, the building is impossible to get into. You have to dial a code which should alert them to buzz you in, but the buzzer goes to voicemail. I had a diagnostic performed on my MacBook, which was free, and I received an email telling me that I needed to replace my hard drive and my optical drive, and they charged me for backup services, which I did not need. The estimate was over $700. It is impossible to reach them over the phone, 4 out of 5 times it goes to voicemail. When I finally got through to them they did not make an effort to explain why I needed what they said, it was a "take it or leave it" kind of attitude. Well, I left it. I took back my MacBook and brought it to an Apple Store. They ran a diagnostic and found that there was nothing wrong with my MacBook at all. The Mac Support Store said that my optical drive was "shot", which it was not, and that my hard drive failed verification, which it did not. Had I not gone for a second opinion I would have spent $700 unnecessarily. Bottom line: don't go there - or, if you do, get a second opinion before you have any work done by these people.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these reviews of different AASP's, or the same Place?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its reviews of The AASP that lost my HD. They do have good reviews some battery replacements & other fixes.

I was there a few times with my problem & three other customers had major complaints There rigs were there for months & when returned they had the same problem. One was missing her keyboard. They Screen phone calls if you keep calling when they say to.

They sais they could retrieve data from my HD in two days, three weeks later i was told it takes time its downloading to my minis HD it cant be rushed Shocked

When they did download it the invoice had a date that they started the download two days before.
That was the spanish woman's HD they lost mine in the few weeks mine way laying around.

They said they misplaced my HD and found it, i took it & gave it to the guy i found on craigslist three hours later he recovered data from my so-called HD it was the Spanish ladies HD, they said it was mine & nothing could be saved, asked me if i wanted to spend thousands on a clean room recovery.

I would have been really pissed spending that kind of money to have the spanish ladies music & pics AGAIN!

They Suck!
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea like I said. I don't have confidence in the one by me. He THINKS he knows everything. Anyone with that attitude, in MyBook (pun intended), knows nothing. Smile I only know just enough to be dangerous. But at least I admit it.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: