123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How will USB 3.0 change the Mac world?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: How will USB 3.0 change the Mac world? Reply with quote

USB 3.0 peripherals are expected to start appearing this year. USB 3's theoretical maximum transfer rate is 4.8Gb/sec; we know that it won't reach that in practice, but it will still be many times faster than USB 2.0. More details here.

So what do you think that this will mean for the next generation of Macs?
  • The end of FireWire?
  • The early demise of the internal SSD as people simply plug a 64GB USB 3.0 pendrive into the back of their machines?
  • Redundant DVI and DisplayPort sockets after the release of USB 3.0 display screens?

TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing Apple they will build a special proprietary USB3 connection into all their products so that we will have to buy a stupid adapter. Laughing Laughing
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How will USB 3.0 change the Mac world? Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
  • The early demise of the internal SSD as people simply plug a 64GB USB 3.0 pendrive into the back of their machines?

Better not be; I just plucked down $160 (after rebate) for a 60gb SSD. Shocked
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How will USB 3.0 change the Mac world? Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
JohnnyBoy wrote:

What do you figure, your SSD is suddenly going to stop working the day they release USB 3.0?
I guess not!
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: How will USB 3.0 change the Mac world? Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:

• The end of FireWire?
  • Redundant DVI and DisplayPort sockets after the release of USB 3.0 display screens?

Well if USB 3.0 does as its previous generation it'll be slower in comparison to FireWire 3200 for sustained transfer, also firewire will always have daisy chain.

USB 3.0 doesn't stand a chance at replacing video connectors as it is simply compressing the data channels too much to give ideal picture, dedicated video connectors will beat out any broad peripheral connector for quality.

Also, a USB 3.0 flash drive WILL NOT beat the internal SSD as internal connectors for SATA are up to 6 Gbps, already surpassing USB 3.0, the difference will be memory speed and an SSD will be far cheaper for the same speed and capacity as there is less space restraint.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: How will USB 3.0 change the Mac world? Reply with quote

Fox wrote:

That made me laugh! Very Happy

dungeon92 wrote:
Well if USB 3.0 does as its previous generation it'll be slower in comparison to FireWire 3200 for sustained transfer, also firewire will always have daisy chain.

True D92, but who's got FW3200 on their Mac? And how likely are we to get FW3200 on our Macs when Apple have decided to drop FW entirely on the latest MacBooks? Is this the shape of things to come?

dungeon92 wrote:
USB 3.0 doesn't stand a chance at replacing video connectors as it is simply compressing the data channels too much to give ideal picture, dedicated video connectors will beat out any broad peripheral connector for quality.

I wasn't too sure, so I did some simple mathematics....

1,920 pixels x 1,200 pixels = 2,304,000 pixels

Each pixel needs 32 bits colour depth, so the number of bits needed to describe the colour of all of the pixels on the screen is...

2,304,000 pixels x 32 bits = 73,728,000 bits

Finally, for a refresh rate of 60Hz, we need to update this number of bits 60 times per second....

73,728,000 bits x 60 Hz = 4,423,680,000 bits/second or 4.42 Gbit/sec!

USB 3.0's theoretical maximum transfer rate is 4.8 Gbit/sec. Can we still say that USB 3.0 doesn't stand a chance of replacing video connectors? Wink Smile

dungeon92 wrote:
Also, a USB 3.0 flash drive WILL NOT beat the internal SSD as internal connectors for SATA are up to 6 Gbps, already surpassing USB 3.0, the difference will be memory speed and an SSD will be far cheaper for the same speed and capacity as there is less space restraint.

I wasn't trying to say that USB 3.0 pendrives will 'beat' internal SSDs; I was trying to say that someone who has a machine with an internal mechanical HDD will shortly have an alternative to replacing it with an internal SSD: a USB 3.0 pendrive.

In other words, if the pendrive offers a dramatic increase in performance over their mechanical HDD, but without the hassle of hardware replacement, which will they choose?
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How will USB 3.0 change the Mac world? Reply with quote

[quote="JohnnyBoy"]
Fox wrote:

dungeon92 wrote:

True D92, but who's got FW3200 on their Mac? And how likely are we to get FW3200 on our Macs when Apple have decided to drop FW entirely on the latest MacBooks? Is this the shape of things to come?

dungeon92 wrote:

I wasn't too sure, so I did some simple mathematics....

1,920 pixels x 1,200 pixels = 2,304,000 pixels

Each pixel needs 32 bits colour depth, so the number of bits needed to describe the colour of all of the pixels on the screen is...

2,304,000 pixels x 32 bits = 73,728,000 bits

Finally, for a refresh rate of 60Hz, we need to update this number of bits 60 times per second....

73,728,000 bits x 60 Hz = 4,423,680,000 bits/second or 4.42 Gbit/sec!

USB 3.0's theoretical maximum transfer rate is 4.8 Gbit/sec. Can we still say that USB 3.0 doesn't stand a chance of replacing video connectors? Wink Smile

dungeon92 wrote:

I wasn't trying to say that USB 3.0 pendrives will 'beat' internal SSDs; I was trying to say that someone who has a machine with an internal mechanical HDD will shortly have an alternative to replacing it with an internal SSD: a USB 3.0 pendrive.

In other words, if the pendrive offers a dramatic increase in performance over their mechanical HDD, but without the hassle of hardware replacement, which will they choose?

True on the Apple dropping FW, I believe it'll exist as a Pro option and maybe desktop option though as a lot of Pro applications make use of FW and desktops (only the Mac mini would be in this class) might drop it, but not very likely to me.

As for video connection, USB 3.0 isn't specialized for video and it compresses the data channels so for mainstream market, maybe, but those who know their tech, probably not when better dedicated video connectors exist.

As for a fast pendrive, well this get's into the debate of do you really trust flash memory with important data? I will use mechanical drives as long as possible myself as they never really die, they just need a bit of care to work in their final moments Laughing .

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: