123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microsoft Intros Office for Mac 2011
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Microsoft Intros Office for Mac 2011 Reply with quote

Microsoft Intros Office for Mac 2011
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

Microsoft today introduced Office for Mac 2011, the next version of its office suite, at Macworld 2010 in San Francisco. The new software features co-authoring tools and Office Web Apps so you can work together more effectively with your colleagues and friends, a new user interface called Office for Mac Ribbon, and support for importing .PST files into Outlook for Mac which replaces Entourage in the office suite. It's based on Cocoa and looks improve integration with the operating system over the older application. Office for Mac 2011 will be available later this year. No word on pricing or a specific release date though.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1445.html

Last edited by admin on Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got disgruntled with the current version of Office and switched to iWork. I sort of doubt that I will ever go back now. Especially with the possibility of going to 64-bit in the next release. I'm not really a fan of the Ribbon look either. I think it's too busy.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also lost interest in Office when they introduced the Ribbon, it felt like I needed to completely re-learn how to use office, and as I needed to relearn I choose to learn iWork instead and gave office the boot.

I doubt I'd ever go back to using office now, unless I stop using a Mac.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely hate the Ribbon interface. I can't even take the look on something as simple as Paint in Windows 7. So iWork '10 here I come! When's that coming out again? Smile
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to purchase the current version (2008?, 2007?, whatever it is) through a work offer for $20. I'm SO glad I didn't spend a bunch of money on it...

There is an odd glitch where it tries to "update" (every time it starts up) but once it downloads the update it doesn't recognize that office is installed on my hard drive and gives an error. I only have one hard drive, office is absolutely installed on it.

I guess I'll try iWork when I buy my MBP...

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My needs are simple. I use Numbers as my spreadsheet application. It is my most used application on my MacBook. Occasionally, I use Pages. Never have used Keynote. For the money; and for me, iWork is the best deal going.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably give both of them a look-see and then make a decision. I like iWork, but always find myself going back to Office for Word and Excel.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
somefreak90

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the real question is will it be better than the current version of Office?
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somefreak90 wrote:
I think the real question is will it be better than the current version of Office?

I hope it's better. I thought 2008 was a step back in many ways over 2004. It never really lived up to the promise of better performance either. Then again, maybe my expectations were too high. It has gotten better with the last few updates.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
castaway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't necessarily mind the look of the ribbon interface. It just takes up far too much space on the screen. Oh well, I switched to iWork last year anyways.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

castaway wrote:
I don't necessarily mind the look of the ribbon interface. It just takes up far too much space on the screen.

While trying to find out what the ribbon interface was, I stumbled upon this tip for making it disappear...
http://www.pringle.net.nz/blog/PermaLink,guid,a48778e4-df6e-4a72-bd4e-4aca212d0e8d.aspx
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be wary of the new version, and won't buy it until I know that its performance is improved over 2008 (or 2004 for that matter). Office 2008 apps are the slowest opening apps I have on my Macs; slower than 2004 despite the latter not being native. Unfortunately I need MS office to stay compatible with my colleagues, but if the new version doesn't bring both speed and compatibility improvements, I don't care what else new it brings.
mabaker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ribbon option i the new MAc office will be optional so I don’t see any harm here. Smile

Looking forward to the release hoping they will address the performance issues - Word takes about 15 seconds to start on a brand new machine whereas Word 2007 starts up in MAX 3 sec under Windows.
velocitytrap

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about time that the Mac version more resembeled the windows version. I really hate that floating box on the side. I have 2008 now but the differences between the windows and mac versions keep me from using the mac version. Granted the transition from 2004 to 2008 was harsh. My only wish is that excel comes a LOT closer to the windows version. I use excel on a daily basis and I can't even bring myself to use the mac version. It is bad!

+1 on the performance issue. Honestly word and excel open almost instantly even when I use them with VMware. When I start the 2008 mac version it takes like 5 sec to open...

RANT/
castaway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
While trying to find out what the ribbon interface was, I stumbled upon this tip for making it disappear...
http://www.pringle.net.nz/blog/PermaLink,guid,a48778e4-df6e-4a72-bd4e-4aca212d0e8d.aspx

Yeah, it sounds like that functionality will be available in the Mac version.

Quote:
Another big addition to the Office 2011 suite is a ribbon that's at the core of our next-generation Office for Mac user experiences. We took your feedback and haven't completely rearranged what you know and love: the new design is an evolution of the Office 2008 Elements Gallery and uses the classic Mac menu and Standard Toolbar giving you the best of both worlds. You can even collapse the ribbon and the Toolbar for more screen space or for the more advanced users who rely on keyboard shortcuts.

It will be interesting to see how it works and looks in person. I might be sold on upgrading if the interface looks decent. A substantial increase in performance would be necessary as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: