123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS Keyboard to Mac

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pecoelho

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: MS Keyboard to Mac Reply with quote

I am an ex Mini user convert from Win and now using an iMac, the original Keyboard is out of order, got a cheap Windows KBoard, it works ok, except not awaking from "sleep" and the inc/decrease of brightness.
Is there anyway to convert a MS KBoard to Mac?
22" WS LG Monitor
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "convert an MS keyboard to Mac", pecoelho? Confused

If it's a USB k/b, then most of the keys will correspond to their Mac k/b equivalents. You'll have to experiment with the modifier keys "Alt" and "Windows", to see which one is interpreted by the Mac as "Option" and which is seen as "Command".

Could you not track down a cheap/secondhand Apple keyboard from eBay?
thenextbutton

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are mac drivers for some of the Microsoft keyboards:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=4eeb9cbc-68c4-4ea8-ae3b-97c3c0f1fb56

I do not know if they will work with snow leopard, but if you have a Microsoft Media keyboard this should help with all the other function keys.

I personally do not have mac at the moment, but I am reading about the forums before I purchase one in a couple of months Smile
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if the Keyboard option in System Preferences does anything for you if not check out http://doublecommand.sourceforge.net/

What is DoubleCommand?

DoubleCommand is software for Mac OS X (a kernel extension) that lets you remap keys, in other words change the way your keyboard works. Often used to make a PC keyboard more comfortable with a Mac, swapping the Alt (Option) and Windows (Command or Apple) keys, since they are in swapped positions on Mac and PC keyboards. DoubleCommand is a quick and easy way to fix this if you use a PC keyboard with your Mac.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y-Guy wrote:
See if the Keyboard option in System Preferences does anything for you...

I have to use the "Modifier keys" button in the Keyboard section of Sys Prefs because (for some reason) my cordless Logitech keyboard swaps the Command and Option keys by default. So yeah, it's worth knowing about that button.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: