123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dealing with multiple windows is very difficult on a Mac!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waspinator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Dealing with multiple windows is very difficult on a Mac!! Reply with quote

I'm a PC user who's making a switch, and this one really has me frustrated about Mac.

I'm one of those people who opens multiple windows when I use my computers (PC or Mac). I may open up three or four web browser windows, and may simultaneously use Microsoft Word, etc. I also like to have my windows maximized in size, i.e. full-screen (with only the taskbar at the bottom of the screen visible)

In Windows, as you probably know, there are tabs in the taskbar that show you what programs/windows are currently open, and they allow you to switch from window to window quickly and conveniently. This is especially useful if each of the windows are full-screen, and obscure the windows in it.

There doesn't seem to be any equivalent function with Macs.

Am I missing something here? Is there no way on Macs to quickly switch from full-screen window to full-screen window?
Leander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think expose, which is mapped to one of the function keys (f11, f12, or f13) i think, does something similar to what you need.

expose might not be turned on by default. if so its in the options menu somewhere.
jb
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expose, as leander mentions which by default should be F11 (might be fn+F11) is one possibility, and there are others...

Press Cmd+tab will bring up the application switcher, very easy to use.

All running applications also show in the Apple Dock, very similar to The Windows Task bar.
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently switched to the Magic Mouse, my Mighty Mouse had a button on each side and when you "squeezed" the mouse it would show all of the different windows currently running...

How do you do that on the Magic Mouse? Or can you?

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
theGimpiest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imola.zhp wrote:
I just recently switched to the Magic Mouse, my Mighty Mouse had a button on each side and when you "squeezed" the mouse it would show all of the different windows currently running...

You can set that option in the Mouse System Preferences.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expose is awesome, you can also set it up on a hot corner in System Preferences - Expose and Spaces. as well as for a Keyboard key or Mouse Button

and CMD - TAB is also available as also mentioned above to scroll through running apps.

The dock also shows running apps via a highlighted icon underneath.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Waspinator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
Expose is awesome, you can also set it up on a hot corner in System Preferences - Expose and Spaces. as well as for a Keyboard key or Mouse Button

and CMD - TAB is also available as also mentioned above to scroll through running apps.

That'll let you scroll between open programs, but it's still not what I'm looking for.

For example, let us say I have four different Safari windows open, Pages open, Numbers open, and iTunes open.

Is there any function that will list all seven of these windows so that I can quickly go from one to the other?
gigaguy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imola.zhp wrote:

You can NOT do this with the magic mouse as is.
You can download many apps now that add gestures to do the Apple expose functions for desktop, all windows, etc.
I like bettertouchtool best so far.

Last edited by gigaguy on Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Waspinator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:

Oops! Nevermind. Expose is even better than what Windows has!

I'm curious, though, is it a part of Mac OSX? Or is it a 3rd party application that's just included with OSX?
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waspinator wrote:
Oops! Nevermind. Expose is even better than what Windows has!

I'm curious, though, is it a part of Mac OSX? Or is it a 3rd party application that's just included with OSX?

Exposé has been part of OS X since 10.3 -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposé_(Mac_OS_X)

But if you like Exposé, check out "Spaces"... Wink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwkFuQGz0Mc (4 min, 19s)
mabaker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have Windows Snap functionality elegantly added by installing Cinch (http://www.irradiatedsoftware.com/cinch/) or the freeware TwoUp from the same company which requires keyboard shortcuts to manage windows.
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I freakin' love Spaces! I have 3 setup on my Mac now, certain software loads in certain spaces. Firefox loads in space 1, as well as most apps. iTunes loads in space 2 and Symphony loads in space 3. I've reprogrammed a key on my Logitech keyboard that scrolls up and down between the three spaces.

When I switched I was frustrated at how windows operate on a Mac too, until I unlearned my windows ways. But Spaces made that transition a breeze, now when I go to work I dread working on my XP box and really miss the Spaces app.
MrBabou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one thing I absolutely hate about Mac OS X's windowing system... why the hell does it only have one corner that allows resizing of the window!!!

I know this comes from a Windows habit, but I don't know anything that allows OS X to do this. And I find it ridiculous...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> New Users and Switchers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: