123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac Mini with Standalone Windows 7. Looking for drivers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roveer1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Mac Mini with Standalone Windows 7. Looking for drivers Reply with quote

Just did a standalone install of windows 7 on my mac mini. This means no OS X of any kind, there for no bootcamp.

Where can I find windows 7 drivers for the mac mini?

I did this a while back with Windows XP and was able to find a driver pack with all the XP drivers without any bootcamp component. Basically looking for the same thing for W7.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen a updated "all in one" list. I know you can get the Nvidia graphics drivers from their site. You might try down loading the latest Bootcamp and extracting them out.
What is and isn't working so far on your install?
roveer1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that isn't working is the audio. I've had this problem before on XP only installs and had to search high and low for a working sigmatel hd audio driver. 3+ hours last night and I was unable to find one for vista/7. There is an unidentified entry for some kind of a "counter" that I'm not sure about.

I tried downloading the 32bit bootcamp but isn't it a mac application? It failed to run on my windows 7 installation. I'm a little concerned that without bootcamp drivers I'm missing some basic system level drivers that may affect speed. My install does not seem to be very zippy. Then again it is a mini.

Any help would be appreciated, especially how I might extract drivers from a bootcamp file.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me download it quick and see if i can't extract the drivers for ya. You need the 32bit drivers yes?
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On second thought did you try inserting your snow leopard disc and installing the driver from that?
roveer1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mini was an older one that only came with Leopard (I believe) and unfortunatly I left it at the office which is snowed in.

I was going to DL a snow leopard and see if I could reach into the packed file and pull out the "drivers" directory and find a usable audio driver there.

I also DL'd a number of Realtec and Sigmatel drivers from the internet and none semed to have worked (none would get rid of the speaker with an x). The last one I tried was a Dell simatel driver R114282 which seems to have installed properly (under compatibility mode), and gives me a speaker on the status area instead of a speaker with an X. It all looks good expcept no sound coming from the mini or speakers that I've plugged in.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm PM'ing you the links for the Sigmatel and RealTek. From the Snow Leopard Disc.
jce11

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: help for windows 7 Reply with quote

Insert your OS X Leopard DVD. When prompted, select Run setup.exe.
The Boot Camp installer will launch. Click Next to begin.
Select I accept the terms in the license agreement and then click Next again. Make sure that Apple Software Update for Windows is checked, and click Install. The Boot Camp installer will do its thing, and install all the required drivers. Notifications will pop up with each driver that gets installed. Once completed, click Finish.

# And yet again you’ll be prompted to reboot. Remove your OS X Leopard DVD from the drive, and click Yes to restart. If you still have problems with sound not working, you’ll need to install the Realtek driver
that might work i havnt tryed it yet
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: help for windows 7 Reply with quote

jce11 wrote:
Insert your OS X Leopard DVD.

I thought that Win 7 came out after Leopard... Confused Or are Vista drivers fine for Win 7?

(P.S. Nice to see you again, Roveer! I see you're still sticking with that spooky old operating system... Wink Razz Very Happy )
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jce11 he would have tried that except he didn't have 10.6. disc. I ended up extracting the drivers from Snow Leopard (which was kind of a pain in the a$$ ) and sending them to him. Roveer1 said everything was working after that.
Apparently it is possible to run Windows 7 as your only OS with no Bootcamp.
nutcr0cker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi roveer1,
Could you please share as to how you managedto get windows 7 without the boot camp working. Did you slipstream the drivers. I have been trying tio get it to even start installing with no success.

Regards
aerosavant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
See my thread [http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27366]
Did this issue ever get resolved?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: