123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is uprgrading to a 7200rpm drive possible.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James T. Kirk©

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
James T. Kirk© wrote:
devo wrote:
I have not heard of a Seagate internal one but Hitachi makes one. Can you link to the Seagate?

I'd Google, if to wanted to know for sure. Wink

Wow what a supportive answer.

Wow, what a sense of humor! Haven seen the smiley? And I only read about someone who wrote about it!! I could hve said, no, sorry, but just gave him a hint. And you know what? This took me ONE (1) second: http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=Seagate+100GB+2.5+drive&btnG=Google+zoeken&lr=
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
inimcam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys move along! Very Happy JK
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll probably wait a while and see if the 7200 rpm drives cause any heat issues with the Mini's.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
James T. Kirk©

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mavherzog wrote:
I think I'll probably wait a while and see if the 7200 rpm drives cause any heat issues with the Mini's.

Good idea, though, as I read the comments about Hitachi's 60 GB drive, it's hardly an issue, what it will be with a 100GB, I don't know. Rolling Eyes

http://www20.tomshardware.com/storage/20040617/seagate-04.html This is he story about the Seagate 100 GB/7200 rpm!!

Anyway, I found some more in the same forum: http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15&highlight=7200+rpm Wink

Especially this was said about the changing of hd:
Mac hackers, however, quickly disassembled the new computer with the help of an Apple QuickTime movie and tips from others. (See our Mac Mini Reader Report.) This opens up extra options - for example, you could replace Apple's 256-MByte memory card with a third-party 1GB card at a reasonable cost, or you could upgrade Apple's hard drive to something faster or bigger, if you're very adept with computer hardware.

Hacking the Mac Mini, however, is a lot trickier than it appears, and if you break the computer, Apple may decline warranty repairs. Here's what we found when we finally cracked open this Chinese puzzle to install a faster hard drive:
The Mini is fitted together with incredible precision. To open it, you must place it upside down on a soft-covered table, then insert a very thin, flat, strong tool (such as a kitchen spatula or putty knife) into a miniscule crack between the aluminum side/top housing and the bottom/back platform.

The tool must pry the bottom section's plastic fingers inward to release their catches on the side section, as you simultaneously pry up the bottom section away from the aluminum section. Not easy.

Once you've disengaged the two sections, the memory card was fairly accessible in our Mini, which lacked AirPort and BlueTooth cards, and the optical drive was positioned on the top of the open computer. The hard drive, however, is buried at the bottom of a plastic unit holding storage and fan, screwed onto the motherboard, and connected by various wire harnesses taped into place.

To actually replace the hard drive involves completely disassembling this unit, with its plethora of different-sized, difficult-to-access Phillips screws. The final hurdle is removing the fan to get access to the last screw holding the hard drive.

If you're crazy enough to take on the challenge, special procedures could make the difference between success and disaster. Try using a muffin tin to hold the different sets of screws, with PostIt notes or something to label the sets. Make sure to have a big variety of high-quality Phillips screwdrivers with long shafts. It's all too easy to ruin the screw-heads because they don't quite fit a particular screwdriver. Taking good digital photos of each step may be critical to re-assembling the computer.

The fan screws into place (although you might think it clipped into place).

Re-assembling the computer can be very tricky. Assuming you get all the screws and wire harnesses and tape back in place correctly, the final reunion of the two major housings is still very challenging, with delicate metal fingers all over the place and an incredibly precise fit that will highlight your clumsiness if you make the tiniest mistake. The trick seems to be first ensuring that none of the fingers is out of place, then sliding the bottom/back housing almost vertically into the top/side housing, rather than trying to tilt it first one way and then another.

So, like the original Mac and the original iMac, the Mac Mini is very specifically designed for external upgrades, not internal ones. It offers two fast USB 2.0 ports, a FireWire 400 port, Ethernet 10/100 and analog audio output via a 1/8-inch stereo jack. That should cover most applications you might have, although the Mini really needs the performance of a FireWire 800 port (apparently included in the original design specifications).
This sounds very scary Shocked I'd definately would do this AFTER the waranty period!
andp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have a link on temperature testing of hard drives for a primer? I would like to upgrade to a 7200 RPM drive but Iím a little concerned with how much heat the faster drive may create.
James T. Kirk©

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andp wrote:
Does anyone have a link on temperature testing of hard drives for a primer? I would like to upgrade to a 7200 RPM drive but I?m a little concerned with how much heat the faster drive may create.

If I read comments about Hitachi's 60 GB Travelstar 7200 rpm 2'5 inch drive, which is a laptopdrive after all, it is fairly equal to 5400 rpm drives. Sorry I don't have the urls saved, you might try to google for yourself. Question
Lucky8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it void the warranty when you upgrade the HD?
idave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky8 wrote:
Does it void the warranty when you upgrade the HD?

I don't think it voids the warranty. How would they know you could just throw the old one back in! Wink
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
James T. Kirk©

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I read, quite some people did already:
http://xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/mac_mini_owner_reports.html
http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=/Benchmarks/12705/minihd.html

What I hear, hardly any heat issues and the noise is just a "hush" more. I have chosen for the external solution. Firewire/USB enclosure with a Hitachi Deskstar 160 GB, 7200 rpm, 8mb cache drive, so I'll be able to run OSX Tiger from there. If the mini would have connected it's real potential, FW 800 and it is said there is something in the inner hardware design which proves they had that idea and maybe future mini's will have it, you could connect a FW 800 enclosure and get the full speed of the Deskstar! Cool
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firewire 800 and Gigabit ethernet would rule! Most of these new 2.5" 7200rpm drives run pretty cool and are just as silent.
James T. Kirk©

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Firewire 800 and Gigabit ethernet would rule! Most of these new 2.5" 7200rpm drives run pretty cool and are just as silent.

Isn't it way past your bedtime Wink Or do you do nightshifts? Very Happy
Yuridaman

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: What about system bus speed? Reply with quote

I was thinking of doing something similar with my girlfriend's iBook and warned not to go for a high speed drive because the system bus speed might not be able to handle it. Result being crashes.

Anyone know whether this is true for Mac Mini?
Robin1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is uprgrading to a 7200rpm drive possible. Reply with quote

Is uprgrading to a 7200rpm hard drive possible? Can you get a 7200rpm drive in a size that fits in the mini? Would heat be an issuse?

Use a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter and then sell off your more expensive 2.5" hard drive and combo drive. The 3.5" replacements will be faster and cheaper. The challenge is to find a case you can like. You may notice the size of the Mini is almost exactly the size of the cutout for an ATX case where it meets the outputs of the motherboard. Perhaps a shuttle case would work. If you use a firewire external enclosure for a hot swappable backup, you should be able to run the Primary Master IDE hard drive as well as the optical drive (on the Primary Slave) off of it. Then you have a "free" (since you already had it) completely silent power source for your IDE drives. Probably its not a good idea to run all 3 drives at once. Since its a backup, it would only be used occasionally. I've been doing this setup and its fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: