123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plugging in a drive to the atv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gibmini

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Plugging in a drive to the atv Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got a few drives attached to my mini from where I stream movies to my atv. I'm wondering if I can just get a very large drive (2tb), copy all my movies to that, plug it into the atv and then play them from the atv without streaming hassles.

If I can, then how will I be able to manage files on the drive? How will I copy new movies to it? Can I access the files from my mini over my wireless network...in finder perhaps?

Thanks for any advice.

GM

iPhone 4S
2.3GHz latest gen macbook pro, 2.4GHz latest gen Mini, 1.83GHz Mini, 2.0GHz Macbook
160Gb 1st gen ATV & 2nd gen ATV
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly the ATV was specifically designed to not allow you to do anything along those lines. Your "choices" are the blazing speed of wifi or the fast ethernet connection. The ATV was designed to welcome you to the mind control of 1984. Could have been a nice machine if it wasn't purposefully crippled.
gibmini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I was hoping someone wouldn't say that, but I absolutely can believe it. My creaking wifi network will have to continue to bear the brunt of these media files.

I have read about people plugging in drives though. Do you think this could have been post-hardware mod or hack?

GM

iPhone 4S
2.3GHz latest gen macbook pro, 2.4GHz latest gen Mini, 1.83GHz Mini, 2.0GHz Macbook
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
Y-Guy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that I'm not crossing the line but there is an article on how to hack your ATV posted at appletvhacks.net which might help you. Reading that convinced me to go with a Mac Mini vs. an ATV. [/url]
gibmini

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that: a hacked atv it must have been. I don't have the courage for that.

Come on Apple, it wouldn't take much to make the atv wonderful! Smile

GM

iPhone 4S
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
Stork

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naw, it's not that hard. I use

http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/

to create a USB "patchstick". I get the ATV OS.dmg file from this link:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/comments.php?enid=970#commentsanchor

Follow the instructions in the first link, and you should be fine. I can attach a USB external drive to the ATV after using the ATVusb-creater.

Now for the bad news. You have to turn off Apple TV auto update feature. The Apple Updates restore a standard ATV OS condition. So, you have to run the "patchstick" after every update. I may skip 3.0.2 for this reason. However, all it takes is time. I like the "patchstick" enhancements.
gibmini

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that. Sounds interesting. Does the ATV get less reliable or are there any other side effects to using the patchstick (apart from potentially not taking the updates)?

GM

iPhone 4S
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always http://www.atvflash.com/

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
marvelaugusts

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said, I don't want to have to have the computer with attached NAS turned on when I watch Apple TV. I appreciate that for sync to work however both devices will need to be turned on. I think.
Mac Migs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Plugging in a drive to the atv Reply with quote

gibmini wrote:
Hi,

I've got a few drives attached to my mini from where I stream movies to my atv. I'm wondering if I can just get a very large drive (2tb), copy all my movies to that, plug it into the atv and then play them from the atv without streaming hassles.

If I can, then how will I be able to manage files on the drive? How will I copy new movies to it? Can I access the files from my mini over my wireless network...in finder perhaps?

Thanks for any advice.

GM

I actually have an external Hitachi 2TB drive hooked up to my Apple TV, but I did have to mod it. I bought the conversion kit on Ebay. The hard drive in the Apple TV has the old IDE interface. The conversion kit uses an adapter of sort to convert it to eSATA, so your external hard drive enclosure would have to have an eSATA port, which is obviously faster than USB 2.0 or Firewire 800.

I absolutely LOVE my AppleTV now with all the storage space. I've got about 300 720p movies on it now that were converted in Handbrake using the AppleTV setting. The 2TB drive is only about 1/4 full now so I figure I could probably get at least 1000 movies on it, if not more.

I'm not sure if this is allowed but.. here's a link to an auction for the kit that has already ended. It doesn't look like he has any kits available right now but I'm sure you could contact him if you're interested to see when he's going to have more:

Converter for eSATA Apple TV 2 TB External Hard Drive

The kit comes with complete printed instructions and it wasn't that hard at all. If I remember correctly, he also includes a link to video instructions online as well.

By the way... with this setup, you WILL still have to use iTunes to get your movies onto the hard drive. But once they're on there, you're go to go.
gibmini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to have taken so long to post my thanks, but here goes: thanks! I'll definitely have a look at your solution as it seems simple enough even for me!

GM

iPhone 4S
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: