123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Logitech Touts Touch Mouse Application

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Logitech Touts Touch Mouse Application Reply with quote

Logitech Touts Touch Mouse Application
Monday, February 1, 2010
Posted by: Kenan

Logitech started touting their Touch Mouse application for the iPhone and iPod touch today. The application turns either device into a wireless trackpad and keyboard for your Mac or PC. I know that isn't a first (nor is this application completely new to the App Store), but it's cool seeing a company like Logitech talk up such an application. And the best part is, Touch Mouse is totally free!

So here are some of the notable features of Touch Mouse:

- Multi-touch trackpad with the option for two or three mouse buttons
- Two-finger scrolling
- Keyboard with Control, Alt, Command/Windows keys
- On-screen text display while typing
- Show or hide the keyboard at any time
- Trackpad and keyboard are available in landscape and portrait mode

Touch Mouse is available here from the App Store. You also need to install the Touch Mouse Server software on your Mac or PC to complete setting everything up.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1435.html
YesHD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm crazy about the teal menu bar icon, but I like it otherwise. You can't complain about the price either.
jlc1978

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have air Mouse, Hippo Remote and Touchmouse.

All are good programs, and for me the key differentiator between the free mice and paid ones are the ability to customize the paid ones to specific apps. I find that very useful; however Logitech's free mouse is certainly worth getting if all you need is basic mouse functionality.
heulenwolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Excessive thumb wear? Reply with quote

I wonder if I'll start getting excessive thumb wear as a result of using this;)

I am rather tired of the clunkiness of the apple keyboard and a bluetooth travel mouse from my couch to my Mac Mini. I wonder if this app combo will make them obsolete or whether it leave some of the problems unsolved. For example, is the remote keyboard and mouse recognized right away upon boot so that you can use it to login or do you have to login with a normal keyboard so that Logitech's software can load?
What about power considerations? By default, the iPod Touch is going to sleep after a minute or so of no touches. I'm sure Logitech can change that but do I want them to if it means I can only use it for a few hours? How quickly will it reacquire from sleep? Hopefully, it will do so far faster than Apple's Remote app does with iTunes.
jlc1978

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Excessive thumb wear? Reply with quote

heulenwolf wrote:
I wonder if I'll start getting excessive thumb wear as a result of using this;)

I am rather tired of the clunkiness of the apple keyboard and a bluetooth travel mouse from my couch to my Mac Mini. I wonder if this app combo will make them obsolete or whether it leave some of the problems unsolved. For example, is the remote keyboard and mouse recognized right away upon boot so that you can use it to login or do you have to login with a normal keyboard so that Logitech's software can load?
What about power considerations? By default, the iPod Touch is going to sleep after a minute or so of no touches. I'm sure Logitech can change that but do I want them to if it means I can only use it for a few hours? How quickly will it reacquire from sleep? Hopefully, it will do so far faster than Apple's Remote app does with iTunes.

On my PC I go from iPhone off to the TouchMouse in about 15 seconds. It won't replace a kb/mouse combo for normal use; but it's fine for intermittent use. Give it a try; it's free. I think you'll find it useful if you're replacing an Apple Remote.
Huff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not as complete as Air Mouse, but it's the best free one I've ever used.
YesHD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Excessive thumb wear? Reply with quote

heulenwolf wrote:
By default, the iPod Touch is going to sleep after a minute or so of no touches. I'm sure Logitech can change that but do I want them to if it means I can only use it for a few hours? How quickly will it reacquire from sleep? Hopefully, it will do so far faster than Apple's Remote app does with iTunes.

You can prohibit sleep in the settings, but reacquiring the server out of sleep happens almost instantaneously.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool nice app and for free I'm game.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A+++++++++++++

Awesome just downloaded it and i have to say holy moley what a app first it connects by wireless so it doesn't drag down your battery by using bluetooth it is kinda weird to type from but excellent as a presentation mouse application all i have to say is wow this rocks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: