123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils iPad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to get one and put Linux on it! just kidding. Laughing Right now I can't afford to buy blank dvd discs. Sad

It does looks interesting. I would need to see it in person.
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Camera Reply with quote

Unless the iPad is capable of doing video calls using Skype, I would prefer it didn't have a camera. A camera just adds one more thing to go wrong or to hack. I prefer a camera that can focus on different distances instead of having a fixed focus.

The processor might be too slow to allow good video calls.

When the new iPod Nano came out with video I considered getting one. I have a Flip video camera that I use regularly. I intended to sell the Flip until I learned that the Nano has a fixed focus. Now I'm more inclined to sell the Flip and get a newer Kodak video camera and get an iPad.

The only feature of the Nano that interested me was the camera. I looked at it in the opposite way that Steve Jobs described it. I considered it a camera with an MP3 player.

I consider the iPad as a limited computer with video capabilities. I'll just wait until my local Apple retail outlet gets an iPad so I can check it out. If I knew anybody with an iPhone I could ask them to let me play with it for a while. It would give me an idea about the iPads capabilities.

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a close look at Apple Insider's video review of the iPad. That little thing is very impressive. The page flipping for iBooks blew me away. Just like a real book. And they pointed out your books can have color pictures and video embeded in the pages. Imagine a new generation of textbooks written not for the printed page, but for the electronic iPad page, where the lab experiment unfolds in a video right on the page! Then offers you an interactive experiment pad of your own. This could revolutionize college courses, not to mention your pocket book if that $140 Physics text is now a $25 eBook in your iPad. Might save a few backs as well.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems to me this is the new backpack sales have got to be big for students.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
not to mention your pocket book if that $140 Physics text is now a $25 eBook

I'm not to sure how much money goes where, but a digital book would be nice. I'm not too sure if stand alone digital books will happen overnight. It will likely be a case where you pay $140 for the Physics text and an extra $25 for the digital version Smile but you can't buy the digital version on it's own for $25. That will cost you $100 or so. Something like that.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
This could revolutionize college courses, not to mention your pocket book if that $140 Physics text is now a $25 eBook in your iPad. Might save a few backs as well.

The college I attended actually pushes eBook's over regular text books when ever possible. Many teachers actually stopped requiring text books and post PDF's on Black Board (it's a sharing workspace many schools use). The library also pushed really hard to get all their content (whatever possible) into something that could be accessed and read on devices like the iPhone and Sony Reader (that's what they recommend over Kindle, maybe because it's open format). I still visit my professors often because I still help out when possible and I would say they're all excited about the iPad and many had surprisingly begun to "research" how it would impact how content is delivered.

I'll be going back for a grad degree this coming fall, and I really can't wait to use the iPad in class.

Bandit Bill wrote:

I'm not to sure how much money goes where, but a digital book would be nice. I'm not too sure if stand alone digital books will happen overnight. It will likely be a case where you pay $140 for the Physics text and an extra $25 for the digital version Smile but you can't buy the digital version on it's own for $25. That will cost you $100 or so. Something like that.

My experience has been that you can either buy the "bundle" for about $10 or $15 more, or purchase just the disk/download/ebook for about $20-$50 less than the paper text book. ...lots of times you can buy the e-copy from someone who got the bundle but prefers the text book.

Last edited by ESUNintel on Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: iPads Mandatory Reply with quote

I know that there is one University that mandated that all students have a laptop computer. The computer came with the tuition. I don't know which brand they gave to students.

Which school will make the iPad a mandatory school item? No school would do it unless all of the text books were available for the iPad. Will such a thing actually happen? If schools earn so much money from the sale of the text books and the buy back and then resale of those same books at least one time, would they have enough incentive to give up that profit source?

They might if they charged the full price of the books and didn't offer a printed version. Peer pressure on the universities to save the environment might do it at some schools. I just wonder how many years it would take.

One iPad, even the 65 Gb 3G model, costs less than the average price of a years worth of college text books.

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of text books on the iPad, here's an article I just got vi RSS:
http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/02/textbook-publishers-strike-deals-to-bring-content-to-ipad/
Charles
News Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Site Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:
The web masters of the 123 Mac______ sites need to add a section for the iPad too.

I actually heard that Brian might be working on something in his evil lab, but I'm not sure what he's up to yet. Wink

There is a forum for talking about the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad here though.

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=70
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: iPads Mandatory Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:

One iPad, even the 65 Gb 3G model, costs less than the average price of a years worth of college text books.

What do you mean a years worth? Try one semester! Take 5 classes in physical sciences and you easily have over $600 in books. The iPad is under $500. And I'm not sure the Colleges make the money off books; I think it all goes to the publishers. Textbooks have limited runs, which drives up the printing and binding costs dramatically. That all goes away in an electronic format.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
soundzen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: i.pad = i.pass! Reply with quote

what is it good for?

its not a computer so Jobs had no right to say its better than iphone and better than a macbook - maybe just revolutionary among ebook readers but thats it! lets not let the hype and apple ads machine put ipad among computers - those are not even in the same league as the ipad so no comparation possible.

his presentation starting to annoy me and i do love mac... but without the "amazing, uhhh, ahhh, wooow" rethoric! the ipad was a disapointment to me for the fact that for mac users who own a macbook or imac or even iphone, the ipad wont come and fill a gap... just use a tiny space in a house!

nice price, shape and weight but useless 2 me! Embarassed
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: i.pad = i.pass! Reply with quote

soundzen wrote:
what is it good for?
... just use a tiny space in a house!

nice price, shape and weight but useless 2 me! Embarassed

Perhaps in a few months of hearing how other use their iPads you might change your mind about its usefulness. That doesn't mean that you will ever buy one. Clearly what you have has got you covered. In the future you might decide that such a device would be beneficial enough to get one.

For a while I've been considering which model I would get. I decided that I would get the least expensive one with the 16 GB memory without the 3G connection.

Compact flash memory cards and memory sticks in my opinion are the future of computing for the next decade. I can already buy 64 GB USB memory sticks if I ever need them. As it is, in the last seven years I've only accumulated about 75 gigabytes of data. I could store all of my files on just two memory sticks right now and have plenty of space left over. If I spent a day or two doing a purge of outdated files they could fit on one memory stick.

In time those cards and sticks will push out data really fast. The iPad only needs an adaptor to connect to the USB memory cards. Those are cheap.

The iPad will be a great portable video presentation device for me. I'll just need to find some software to convert flash videos into a format that works on the iPad.

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: