123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils iPad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

velocitytrap wrote:
Sweet iPad comparison

http://i.imgur.com/5vREa.png

I know a lot of people are focused on what the iPad CANNOT do, but we will see in the upcoming months the incredible things that it CAN do. Once software is developed specifically to take advantage of it's size, software and processing power, it will shine.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears apple is preparing to address the CAN'T DO stuff by a line of iPad accessories that plug into the connector. The VGA Video OUT is one, and apparently a CAMERA and memory card are another. But I'm still bummed out that there is no Display Port INPUT to use it as a portable monitor for the Mac Mini. Can't believe Apple didn't consider that obvious use and need.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got home last night from another training mission, so I haven't been able to comment on the iPad. I'm sort of surprised by all the negativity about it though. I can understand the disappointment about it not having a camera, multitasking or supporting Flash, but I'm rather impressed with the thing otherwise. They also caught me off guard with the pricing. I was thinking something like this would start at $799 and drift up from there. I also agree with Bandit (not a first) that we've just seen the beginning of cool apps developed for the larger screen. Just look at iWork, iBooks, Calendar, Contacts, Mail, Photos and iPod. I think they all look fantastic. The corresponding storefronts for those apps look really nice too.

So am I buying one? Not at this point. I don't really need a device like this in my life. I just need something small like the iPhone to carry around. Plus, the Mac mini and MacBook Pro more than have me covered at home. I think the iPad will be extremely successful though. Why? My wife already wants one to replace her Kindle. So I guess that means I'll be buying one after all. I hate you Mr. Jobs! Wink Laughing
gigaguy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was also surprised at the lower pricing, but in reality I see it will cost about what I had read, $600-$1000.

$499, but add the $39 case, one $30 accessory + tax and you're over $600.
$829 + $39 case, $30 dock, taxes, you're at $950. if you want the keyboard dock add another $70.
so $600-$1000 was pretty accurate.

PS- anyone think the iPad data plan and mini card could be used in an iPhone?
I have an unlocked iPhone on Tmobile but no data plan. I would love the iPad prepaid plan on my iphone.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget about a screen protector gigaguy. One from Zagg might run you close to $499. Wink

Hey, I got a question. Will the regular Apple wireless keyboard work with the iPad? I don't remember hearing anything about that one. I'm thinking no with the iPhone OS though.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I originally said I would buy one, but a few days later I'm thinking, "Do I really need an iPad?"

...Maybe I don't need one, but since it does seem cool, and like something I would prefer to carry over a NetBook, I might go for the 32GB over the 64GB (although for the cost difference it makes complete sense to double your space for about $100 more)

I guess I'll decide for sure once it comes out and I actually have time to play with one. I do love the fact iWork will be on it, that it's got eReading capabilities, and how cool the video games look - it make a great system to take to the gym.

Unlike others, I actually really like that it has no camera - the gym has rules for using iPhones as an MP3 player only, if your playing with Apps or swiping your fingers a lot, some one will likely "investigate" what exactly is it that you are doing. I also work for a company that's big on security, and none of their facilities allow for photo taking - and many closed areas will require you leave your camera phone outside.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
I guess I'll decide for sure once it comes out and I actually have time to play with one. I do love the fact iWork will be on it, that it's got eReading capabilities, and how cool the video games look - it make a great system to take to the gym.

Isn't the iPad a little big for the gym? It what ways were you thinking about using it?
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Isn't the iPad a little big for the gym? It what ways were you thinking about using it?

I don't know if it's to big for working out yet, it's hard to say for sure without holding one. I used to use my Kindle in the gym, and it was comfortable for reading, but the iPhone screen (with the Kindle App), is a bit to small to read while on a treadmill.

I would probably use it while on the elliptical, treadmill or stair climber; and use the Kindle App, Apple's own eBook App, play games that don't require the device to move a lot (like Oregon Trail), watch movies on iTunes or YouTube, and use learning Apps like those for the GMAT and Microsoft certification exams (by ITestEasy) - these apps are hard to use on the iPhone at times.

...using it while doing weights as an MP3 player, I think that be impossible.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I can understand the disappointment about it not having a camera, multitasking or supporting Flash, but I'm rather impressed with the thing otherwise.

Apparently the iPad can display flash content. The Apple demo shows it doing so. Perhaps Steve just needed the plugin during the demo.

Easy enough to add a camera.
The iPad is capable of supporting multitasking. I just currently does not. Perhaps this will change.

The most common silly comment is that it is a big touch. Are the people that are making this comment watching the video of the new software? It doesn't require a lot of imagination to see how you can do a lot more with the extra real estate. Even if it was a big touch it can still do a lot of the same things much better.
Undo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:

Apparently the iPad can display flash content. The Apple demo shows it doing so. Perhaps Steve just needed the plugin during the demo.

Don't count on it. It's a promo shot.
Undo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 to 5 mac has the story on the mistaken flash demo.

http://www.9to5mac.com/apple-flash-iPad-website-changes-4653475
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undo wrote:
9 to 5 mac has the story on the mistaken flash demo.

http://www.9to5mac.com/apple-flash-iPad-website-changes-4653475

Not exactly the clearest article. Maybe my brain is still foggy (no coffee yet Smile ).

Who knows what will happen within the next couple months? Cut and paste took a while Smile
Undo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Who knows what will happen within the next couple months? Cut and paste took a while Smile

If Flash was going to be supported on the iPad in the near future, I don't think Apple would let all the negativity go on. It's apparent Steve Jobs hates Flash and or it just hogs too many resources for the iPad to handle it.

I've been thinking about it for a few days now and have decided it's a deal killer for me. The ONLY reason I would buy an iPad is for couch surfing and I don't want an incomplete internet.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undo wrote:
deal killer for me.

Probably the most used phrase on the internet this week. Likely if one little thing keeps you from buying a product, you didn't really need the thing to begin with.
MacScout67

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Undo wrote:
deal killer for me.

Probably the most used phrase on the internet this week. Likely if one little thing keeps you from buying a product, you didn't really need the thing to begin with.

With all respect, I'm not sure it's such a minor thing. Apple is touting the iPad as the best way to experience browsing the internet. It may very well be with the multi-touch screen, but you can't just discard Flash from that experience. Love it or hate it, it's one of the most important and used formats on the internet. I also find Apple's excuse for not including Flash to be pitiful. Shouldn't it be up to the end-user to worry about battery life and stuff like that? No, I think it's clear why Apple is banning on the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. They simply want to protect the distribution of their content on these devices. Nothing more, nothing less.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: