123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Unveils iPad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only missing thing is an SD slot. I think they'll have a dock connector SD reader, but still. The MacBook and iMac now have an SD slot, why is it missing from the iPad?
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yvan256 wrote:
The only missing thing is an SD slot. I think they'll have a dock connector SD reader, but still. The MacBook and iMac now have an SD slot, why is it missing from the iPad?

I agree. As a hobbyist photographer, I'd like to have this feature to use the device as a photo viewer. Currently I use my Asus netbook to do this.

I think Apple left it out so that people wouldn't use it as a cheap way to add additional storage space to the device. This would make it less attractive to purchase the higher end models. In addition, we all know that Apple is notorious for building obsolescence into products.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny Smile
Leander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing i dont like is how the onscreen icons now look really really small and far too spread out.

needed an entire redesign of the interface and not just a bit of fiddling with the ipod touch interface, which is quite apparent from videos and screenshots of the device.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leander wrote:
another thing i dont like is how the onscreen icons now look really really small and far too spread out.

needed an entire redesign of the interface and not just a bit of fiddling with the ipod touch interface, which is quite apparent from videos and screenshots of the device.

I was thinking about them being spread out. It doesn't look great, but it's probably better that way for backgrounds. I just don't know about them being so sparse in the Dock. You shouldn't be limited to four apps down there like the iPhone. That's just plain out silly. A built-in SD slot would have been really nice too. I think the iPad is a decent enough product, but it just seems like Apple could have done so much better. I really think they were worried about it cannibalizing MacBook sales. How else can you explain some of these omissions?
YesHD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not buying one until it comes with at least a front-facing camera. A mobile device like this is screaming for the ability to take personal videos. For journals, notes, fun pics (with Photobooth type applications) and uploading to YouTube. Leaving that functionality out is just ridiculous. You also just know the next generation iPad will have one.
azza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard more negative reviews and comments on this than anything else.

From the name, from what it can do and cant do.

So, I suppose time will tell how this will sort it self out
azza

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any one know if this is wi-fi? and if so, can you use it with out having the sim?

Say I wanna use airport, do I need an active sim for it to operate,

Other wise, Im sure it could be good for travels in the car, train, ect ect..

The apps would be great, seeing is that there are some very great photo apps for the Iphone, having them on a much larger screen to use, would really be a thumbs up.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azza wrote:
Does any one know if this is wi-fi?

All the models have built in wi-fi, so yes you can connect to your wireless home network.

The upper end models support 3G this is used to connect to AT&T's 3G wireless network when you are out of range of wi-fi.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of wondering something while watching the iPad demo. How the heck do you know what, where and how to touch the touch screen. It seems to me it would almost be like hunting for Easter eggs.

eg. click on the baseball player to get stats on the player.

With a traditional mouse typically hovering the cursor over something that is click-able will change the arrow into a hand etc.

It should be interesting to see how developers make it obvious that something can be manipulated through hand or finger gestures.

Another example is using rotating hand gestures to turn the dial on a safe. Again very interesting but initially it may not be so obvious.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: bleh. Reply with quote

Billistics wrote:
I'm sick of these hobbled products apple keeps delivering. If you're going to make an iPad make it run full on leopard.

Right now it's just a big iTouch.

You hit the nail on the head as far as the $64,000 question of design goes. Should the iPad be a small computer like a new kind of netbook? Or should the iPad be a large iPhone, like a new kind of iTouch. One would go with OS/X and netbook type stuff, the other with the Phone OS and phone type stuff. Looks like Apple chose the latter, given the success of the App Store for iPhone apps. As far as not having a camera, I think the unit is too big to be a useful camera. That's better left in the iPhone that is smaller and easy to compose.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azza wrote:
I have heard more negative reviews and comments on this than anything else.

From the name, from what it can do and cant do.

So, I suppose time will tell how this will sort it self out

I wouldn't let the negativity become bothersome if you want one. The iPad is soft of what I expected it to be. It's a big iPod touch running the iPhone OS. Most of the haters out there were hoping it to run OS X. As for the name, I could kind of care less. I've already been emasculated buying pads at the store. Oh, the joys of being married. Rolling Eyes
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anybody worried that Apple is heading in the direction of dedicated mobile toys built on the iPhone OS and away from general computing using a standard operating system? Might Apple drop all their computer lines at some point and leave us only these specific purpose toys?
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
Is anybody worried that Apple is heading in the direction of dedicated mobile toys built on the iPhone OS and away from general computing using a standard operating system? Might Apple drop all their computer lines at some point and leave us only these specific purpose toys?

I don't know, but that would be horrible. I can't see them dumping computers though. I think this is all we're going to see running the iPhone OS. Well, I guess they could also put the iPhone OS on connected device like the Apple TV.
velocitytrap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet iPad comparison

http://i.imgur.com/5vREa.png
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: