123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OWC Intros Mercury Extreme Enterprise SSD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: OWC Intros Mercury Extreme Enterprise SSD Reply with quote

OWC Intros Mercury Extreme Enterprise SSD
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

Other World Computing today announced the release of their OWC Mercury Extreme Enterprise SSD. According to the company, this internal 2.5" SATA SSD uses the latest SandForce Processor and DuraClass technology to deliver the highest transfer speed, endurance, performance, and power efficiency available today. It also comes backed with a five-year warranty from the company for that extra peace of mind. The OWC Mercury Extreme Enterprise SSD is available now in capacities of 50GB, 100GB and 200GB, with prices starting at $229.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1430.html
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that the extra competition will help drive the price of SSD's down faster. I came close to pulling the trigger on an OCZ 30gb SSD for $100, and later a Dane-Electric Intel first generation 1.8" 80gb SSD for $200. I'd like one for either my MacBook Pro or my netbook, but am hoping to see the price come down another 50% in the next few months.
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its just a matter of time Fox, I'm holding out too...

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These drives from OWC sound nice from a technical standpoint. I just thought the prices of SSD drives would be coming down more by this point. I even walked away from buying a 120GB OCZ a couple weeks ago on Newegg. I just couldn't go through with it in the end based on the price. I mean, it just seems like something's got to give here soon when it comes to pricing.
iLife's a Bitch!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
I mean, it just seems like something's got to give here soon when it comes to pricing.

We're sort of in a catch 22 situation. Nobody wants to buy them because they are expensive. They're expensive, because nobody buys them.

We need to get to a point where it's only slightly more expensive to choose SSD's as a primary drive. I'm guessing SSD's wont become popular until mid 2011-2012. Cloud technology may help push demand. People won't need as large of a primary drive. Perhaps Apple's announcement tomorrow will help speed up the acceptance of "cloud" computing and the usage of SSD drives.
somefreak90

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid State is too expensive for my needs right now. I'll wait until the price comes down and the amount of storage goes up before I'll even think of investing in one.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I hope that the extra competition will help drive the price of SSD's down faster. I came close to pulling the trigger on an OCZ 30gb SSD for $100, and later a Dane-Electric Intel first generation 1.8" 80gb SSD for $200. I'd like one for either my MacBook Pro or my netbook, but am hoping to see the price come down another 50% in the next few months.

I would stay away from OCZ SSD's, I actually got the a 250GB from MicroCenter, and returned it 2 days later, it worked well (not great) for a bit, and then it became a nightmare. I hoped to exchange it, but after reading through OCZ's forum (that's how they mainly provide support), no way I would go with OCZ again. ...just my experience.

I'm with you though, I'm waiting for prices to drop in order to buy another SSD, maybe not 50%, but at least $500 for a 250GB. I'll stick to my WD Black for the time being. This OWC one is a bit pricy when compared to Crucial or G. Skill.

Last edited by ESUNintel on Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:41 am; edited 3 times in total
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
We're sort of in a catch 22 situation. Nobody wants to buy them because they are expensive. They're expensive, because nobody buys them.

In that case, buy them on up fellas! Wink

That's probably very true though.

ESUNintel wrote:
I would stay away from OWC SSD's, I actually got the a 250GB from MicroCenter, and returned it 2 days later, it worker well (no great) for a bit, and then it became a nightmare. I hoped to exchange it, but after reading through OWC's forum (that's how they mainly provide support), no way I would go with OWC again. ...just my experience.

How does buying a drive from MicroCenter reflect on OWC though? I'm a little confused by your statement. Are you saying that you started looking for one on OWC after returning the 250GB drive to MicroCenter? Confused

I've never had any trouble with products from OWC. I just don't think they are doing a great job with pricing these days. I'm talking like in comparison to the Neweggs and Mwaves of the world.
iLife's a Bitch!
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:

How does buying a drive from MicroCenter reflect on OWC though? I'm a little confused by your statement. Are you saying that you started looking for one on OWC after returning the 250GB drive to MicroCenter? Confused

I've never had any trouble with products from OWC. I just don't think they are doing a great job with pricing these days. I'm talking like in comparison to the Neweggs and Mwaves of the world.

Oops, I meant OCZ, not OWC. Thanks for catching that, I need to be more careful typing It was the OCZ OCZSSD2-1VTX250G that I tried, and it failed, and rather than exchanging it after reading the poor reviews and their own forum, I just returned it. I would try the OWC one though, just as soon as the price drops to the $500 or less for a 200GB, and i'm sure OWC knows what they're doing, they have yet to fail me.

Thanks again for catching that, and sorry for the confusion Embarassed
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
Thanks again for catching that, and sorry for the confusion Embarassed

Don't worry about it. That's probably an easy mistake to make when both companies are on your mind. I'm sorry to hear about the OCZ drive failing on you though. It sort of makes me feel better about baulking on my purchase.
iLife's a Bitch!
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I'm guessing SSD's wont become popular until mid 2011-2012. Cloud technology may help push demand. People won't need as large of a primary drive. Perhaps Apple's announcement tomorrow will help speed up the acceptance of "cloud" computing and the usage of SSD drives.

I hope not. Cloud computing is a very bad precedent in my opinion. Look what happened with Microsoft and Sprint. Part of the success of iPhone and the app store is that it does NOT rely on cloud computing, but syncs with your computer, not the cloud. I shudder to think Apple might abandon that model and make the same mistake as Microsoft. There is no free lunch in cloud computing, regardless of what IP Managers think.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: