123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WARNING: Seagate Momentus 100GB HD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianbelcher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 5:50 pm    Post subject: WARNING: Seagate Momentus 100GB HD Reply with quote

Hey everybody,

I posted here a week ago about my Mac Mini not being able to start. I just got her back from Tekserve in NYC and I wanted to share the experience with you so you might not have to go through the same thing.

I had made a few modifications on my mini: overclocking CPU from 1.25Ghz to 1.42Ghz, installed a new Seagate Momentus (ST9100823A) 100GB 5400rpm hard drive, and 1GB of PC2700 DDR RAM. Just last week my mini refused to start; I tried everything and the furthest I could get was the Open Firmware mode which was consequently of no help to me. After spending a few days tinkering around with the system myself I finally caved in and took it to Tekserve, though I was worried I would have to pay for the repair since I did some soldering on the processor!

Well anyways, the verdict was failed HD and fried logic board; they said it was quite possible that the HD died and took the board along with it; I've never heard of such a thing, have you? There are two good things about this seemingly sad story though: is that I will be getting a replacement drive sent to me from Seagate under warranty and the greatest part is that they never noticed that I overclocked the cpu, put a new logic board with a new chip! I'm back at 1.25Ghz, but oh well; I was getting really tired of my wife's Pentium 2 Gateway!

If anybody has any insights or comments on this, let me know what you think; I'm bewildered.

-Ian
1GB RAM
Dual Boot W/Yellow Dog Linux
AndyMac

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repair laptops for a living and never heard of a drive killing the board. I have heard of the board killing thr drive though. Is it really worth it to oc the processor?
ianbelcher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think its worth it to overclock; I risked running an expensive repair with this computer if they had only looked a little closer at the logic board. If I could go back I wouldn't have over clocked.

BTW, if they send the logic board back to Apple and they see that it has been "tampered" with can they still charge me for the repairs?
1GB RAM
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ianbelcher wrote:

BTW, if they send the logic board back to Apple and they see that it has been "tampered" with can they still charge me for the repairs?

You can kiss your warranty goodbye. They will charge you for parts and labor if they find out you overclocked the mini.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
ianbelcher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Hmm..... Reply with quote

I hope that last post was sarcasm
1GB RAM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini Upgrading All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: